Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2022 05:47 PM
  • B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding

VICTORIA - British Columbia is retracting plans to scrap individualized funding for children with an autism diagnosis, a proposal that had sparked criticism from parents.

The announcement comes after Premier David Eby and Mitzi Dean, minister of children and family development, met with members of the group AutismBC and other stakeholders, including the First Nations Leadership Council and B.C.’s representative for children and youth.

Eby says the government will maintain individualized funding instead of phasing it out in 2025, under a plan announced in October 2021.

Eby and Dean say the government is committed to "engaging in deeper consultation" with parents, caregivers and others.

Julia Boyle, executive director of AutismBC, says in a statement that parents will be "incredibly relieved" to keep direct autism funding and service providers who already support their children.

B.C. was planning to open 40 so-called family connections centres, or hubs, to provide services, instead of directly funding parents, but that has been paused with the exception of four pilot locations.

Families of children with autism have said they would have lost funding of up to $22,000 a year until children turned six, then $6,000 annually to age 18.

MORE National ARTICLES

Hiring spree helping with backlogs: ministers

Hiring spree helping with backlogs: ministers
Yet while cabinet ministers say the additional hires have started to make a difference, they acknowledge that far more work is needed when it comes to providing Canadians with the services they deserve. The comments came during an update on the work of the government's special task force to help tackle major delays with immigration applications and passport processing.

Hiring spree helping with backlogs: ministers

Vehicle ignites into flames on Highway 17, Highway 17 WestBound closure in effect

Vehicle ignites into flames on Highway 17, Highway 17 WestBound closure in effect
A semi truck was travelling westbound on Highway 17 when the driver smelled smoke.  After the driver pulled over, the vehicle ignited into flames.  The subsequent fire resulted in the vehicle sustaining major damage.

Vehicle ignites into flames on Highway 17, Highway 17 WestBound closure in effect

Pedestrian in hospital after a serious collision in Newton on Sunday

Pedestrian in hospital after a serious collision in Newton on Sunday
On August 28th, just before 7:30 p.m., Surrey RCMP received a reported that a pedestrian, who had been crossing the street in a marked crosswalk, had been struck by a vehicle in the 7500-block of 140 Street. 

Pedestrian in hospital after a serious collision in Newton on Sunday

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home
IHIT has identified the victim as Troy Michael Regnier, in hopes of furthering their investigation. Surrey RCMP arrested three suspects at the scene, who were believed to have been known to the victim, though at this time no charges have been laid.

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan
The guidelines released Thursday encourage pupils and others to get vaccinated and to stay home when they are sick, while masking remains optional and is described as being a "personal or family choice."  

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday
RCMP Const. Mike Della-Paolera says police responded to a report that the boy was unconscious and not breathing and arrived at a home as a family member was performing CPR on the child on the hood of his vehicle. Della-Paolera says police were told the child had ingested an unknown substance.

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday