Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. fast-tracking 18 mining and energy projects in face of U.S. tariff threat

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Feb, 2025 05:56 PM
  • B.C. fast-tracking 18 mining and energy projects in face of U.S. tariff threat

The British Columbia government has released a list of 18 critical mineral and energy projects worth roughly $20 billion that it said it's working to accelerate in the face of ongoing tariff threats from the United States.

The list contains mining projects that have received pushback from some B.C. and Alaskan First Nations groups, including Eskay Creek, Highland Valley and Red Chris mines.

The Stk’emlupsemc te Secwepemc Nation said in November that it would not give its consent to expand the Highland Valley Copper Mine, southwest of Kamloops, because the impact would be "neither reasonable nor sustainable" and the mine has already harmed its ancestral lands and water.

That is in contrast to the Haisla Nation and Pembina Pipeline Corporation in June last year when they announced a positive final investment in the Cedar LNG Project, a floating liquefied natural gas facility on the west coast that is also on the government's list for expedited projects.

Cedar LNG has been opposed by environmental groups, including Environmental Defence Canada and the David Suzuki Foundation, which say new LNG infrastructure "contradicts Canada’s climate commitments."

What the government called the "initial list" is made up of projects that already have developed business cases but still need some type of permit or approval from government.

In addition to four mines, there are three energy security projects, and eleven BC Hydro clean energy ventures that mostly involve wind power.

The projects will employ approximately 8,000 people in B.C. and the provincial government is working to identify other projects, the Office of the Premier said in a statement.

The release of the list comes after Premier David Eby said on Monday that the government was expediting some projects to diversify the economy, assuming there would be "four years of continual on and off tariff threats" from the United States under the presidency of Donald Trump.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada drops $9M on NYC luxury condo for consul general's official residence

Canada drops $9M on NYC luxury condo for consul general's official residence
Canada has spent $9 million for a luxury condo in Manhattan to be used as the official residence for its consul general in New York. Global Affairs Canada says a previous New York City residence purchased in 1961 isn't up to code and doesn't meet the department's standards, but won't say what is being done with it.

Canada drops $9M on NYC luxury condo for consul general's official residence

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate
Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Firefighting crews from Australia and New Zealand on the way to help B.C. fire fight

Firefighting crews from Australia and New Zealand on the way to help B.C. fire fight
The BC Wildfire Service said on social media that the international personnel are expected to arrive on Friday, as hot, dry conditions persist in the province and the number of active wildfires hovers around 150. It said the two 15-person incident management teams will then be briefed and given their first assignments. 

Firefighting crews from Australia and New Zealand on the way to help B.C. fire fight

B.C. government is testing out AI tools for rapid disease diagnosis

B.C. government is testing out AI tools for rapid disease diagnosis
Provincial labs in B.C. are testing out artificial intelligence for more rapid disease diagnosis, including cancer. The province says in a statement that the new digital tools will allow researchers to “securely share high-quality images” in other B.C. locations, helping them to perform a faster diagnoses or get a second opinion. 

B.C. government is testing out AI tools for rapid disease diagnosis

Beach art mischief

Beach art mischief
Mounties in West Shore say a man has been arrested after setting fire to the mammoth statue at Royal Bay Beach.  Police say they responded to a call Monday at 7 a-m after a man who experienced a mental health crisis started a fire at the Esquimalt Lagoon.

Beach art mischief

Knife attack in Nanaimo by a man wearing a bra on his head

Knife attack in Nanaimo by a man wearing a bra on his head
R-C-M-P say the attacker swung the knives at the man, attempting to stab him, but the large dog lunged and bit him before the dog's owner used his martial arts training to incapacitate the other man and take control of the knives.

Knife attack in Nanaimo by a man wearing a bra on his head