Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Feb, 2026 10:56 AM
  • B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

A Vancouver-based firm that operates a mine site in Mexico where 10 workers were abducted last month has heard from "a number of families" that their relatives have been found dead, the company said Monday.

The statement posted on the website of Vizsla Silver Corp. said it is waiting for confirmation from Mexican authorities and would provide further updates as appropriate.

The company did not say how many of its abducted employees have been found dead after they were taken from the site in Concordia, Mexico.

The company is "devastated by this outcome and the tragic loss of life," Vizsla president Michael Konnert said in the statement.

"Our deepest condolences are with our colleagues' families, friends and co-workers, and the entire community of Concordia."

Konnert said the company was focused on the safe recovery of those who remain missing, while supporting all of the affected families.

Global Affairs Canada previously said it wasn't aware of any Canadians missing in the abduction at Vizsla's Panuco project site, a gold and silver mining operation in the state of Sinaloa.

Mexican authorities had announced Friday the discovery of bodies and remains in the area where the search for the missing workers was taking place.

The statement from the Mexican Attorney General's Office did not specify how many bodies were found, but said one of the bodies had the "characteristics of one of the people reported as missing."

The office also reported the arrests of four people believed to be tied to the disappearances.

A turf war has played out in the region for more than a year between two rival factions of the Sinaloa drug cartel.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Marco Ugarte

MORE National ARTICLES

Premier Eby tells Carney it's unacceptable B.C. has been cut out of pipeline talks

Premier Eby tells Carney it's unacceptable B.C. has been cut out of pipeline talks
For a project he says "doesn't actually exist," there was a lot British Columbia Premier David Eby had to say about a potential pipeline from Alberta to B.C.'s northern coast, in a phone call with Prime Minister Mark Carney on Monday.

Premier Eby tells Carney it's unacceptable B.C. has been cut out of pipeline talks

Accessibility office in limbo as it calls out federal government's failures

Accessibility office in limbo as it calls out federal government's failures
The federal Office of Public Service Accessibility is in limbo months after it produced a document accusing the government of falling behind on supports for public servants with disabilities.

Accessibility office in limbo as it calls out federal government's failures

Five more Alberta UCP legislature members facing recall, bringing total to 14

Five more Alberta UCP legislature members facing recall, bringing total to 14
Elections Alberta says it has approved recall petitions against five more members of Premier Danielle Smith's United Conservative Party caucus, bringing the total to 14.

Five more Alberta UCP legislature members facing recall, bringing total to 14

Bosa Properties Commissions First Permanent Public Artwork by Alex Proba at PARKWAY in Surrey

Bosa Properties Commissions First Permanent Public Artwork by Alex Proba at PARKWAY in Surrey
November 20, 2025. Bosa Properties has unveiled new public art at PARKWAY, its latest master-planned community in Downtown Surrey, by globally recognized artist and designer Alex Proba.

Bosa Properties Commissions First Permanent Public Artwork by Alex Proba at PARKWAY in Surrey

Premier David Eby says changes to involuntary care protect workers from being sued

Premier David Eby says changes to involuntary care protect workers from being sued
The provincial government has tabled changes to the Health Mental Act, which it says will reduce the legal exposure of health care workers, who deliver involuntary care to patients held under the law. 

Premier David Eby says changes to involuntary care protect workers from being sued

Appeal board slashes Vancouver mansion's valuation, as owner cites foreign buyer tax

Appeal board slashes Vancouver mansion's valuation, as owner cites foreign buyer tax
The official valuation of a 19,000-square-foot mansion in one of Vancouver's priciest suburbs has been slashed by more than $4 million after the owner argued prices have slumped due to the foreign buyer's tax and other policies.

Appeal board slashes Vancouver mansion's valuation, as owner cites foreign buyer tax