Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Feb, 2026 10:56 AM
  • B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

A Vancouver-based firm that operates a mine site in Mexico where 10 workers were abducted last month has heard from "a number of families" that their relatives have been found dead, the company said Monday.

The statement posted on the website of Vizsla Silver Corp. said it is waiting for confirmation from Mexican authorities and would provide further updates as appropriate.

The company did not say how many of its abducted employees have been found dead after they were taken from the site in Concordia, Mexico.

The company is "devastated by this outcome and the tragic loss of life," Vizsla president Michael Konnert said in the statement.

"Our deepest condolences are with our colleagues' families, friends and co-workers, and the entire community of Concordia."

Konnert said the company was focused on the safe recovery of those who remain missing, while supporting all of the affected families.

Global Affairs Canada previously said it wasn't aware of any Canadians missing in the abduction at Vizsla's Panuco project site, a gold and silver mining operation in the state of Sinaloa.

Mexican authorities had announced Friday the discovery of bodies and remains in the area where the search for the missing workers was taking place.

The statement from the Mexican Attorney General's Office did not specify how many bodies were found, but said one of the bodies had the "characteristics of one of the people reported as missing."

The office also reported the arrests of four people believed to be tied to the disappearances.

A turf war has played out in the region for more than a year between two rival factions of the Sinaloa drug cartel.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Marco Ugarte

MORE National ARTICLES

Affordability gap leaves Liberal budget with middling reviews: Leger poll

Affordability gap leaves Liberal budget with middling reviews: Leger poll
New polling suggests Canadians had a lukewarm response to the federal budget released last week — leading one pollster to argue all parties should think twice before mounting an election campaign over the spending plan.

Affordability gap leaves Liberal budget with middling reviews: Leger poll

Anand announces new sanctions targeting Russian drones as G7 diplomats meet

Anand announces new sanctions targeting Russian drones as G7 diplomats meet
Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand is announcing more sanctions on Russia today as she hosts top diplomats from the Group of Seven countries in the Niagara region.

Anand announces new sanctions targeting Russian drones as G7 diplomats meet

N.S. chief justices defend courtroom poppy ban after politicians call practice wrong

N.S. chief justices defend courtroom poppy ban after politicians call practice wrong
The heads of Nova Scotia's supreme and provincial courts are expressing their support for judges who ban court staff from pinning poppies to their robes during proceedings after some Canadian politicians called the practice wrong.

N.S. chief justices defend courtroom poppy ban after politicians call practice wrong

COP30 primer: Here's what to know about the annual UN climate talks and Canada's role

COP30 primer: Here's what to know about the annual UN climate talks and Canada's role
Canadian climate negotiators are headed to Brazil for the next two weeks as leaders gather for annual United Nations climate talks.

COP30 primer: Here's what to know about the annual UN climate talks and Canada's role

Toronto will add over 1,200 shelter spaces for winter months

Toronto will add over 1,200 shelter spaces for winter months
The City of Toronto is adding more than 1,200 shelter spaces for people experiencing homelessness later this month as part of its winter services plan. 

Toronto will add over 1,200 shelter spaces for winter months

Vancouver Fraser Port Authority says plans to dredge Burrard Inlet remain uncosted

Vancouver Fraser Port Authority says plans to dredge Burrard Inlet remain uncosted
A spokesperson for the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority says plans to dredge Burrard Inlet remain in the preliminary stage with no costs currently attached to them. 

Vancouver Fraser Port Authority says plans to dredge Burrard Inlet remain uncosted