Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Feb, 2026 10:56 AM
  • B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

A Vancouver-based firm that operates a mine site in Mexico where 10 workers were abducted last month has heard from "a number of families" that their relatives have been found dead, the company said Monday.

The statement posted on the website of Vizsla Silver Corp. said it is waiting for confirmation from Mexican authorities and would provide further updates as appropriate.

The company did not say how many of its abducted employees have been found dead after they were taken from the site in Concordia, Mexico.

The company is "devastated by this outcome and the tragic loss of life," Vizsla president Michael Konnert said in the statement.

"Our deepest condolences are with our colleagues' families, friends and co-workers, and the entire community of Concordia."

Konnert said the company was focused on the safe recovery of those who remain missing, while supporting all of the affected families.

Global Affairs Canada previously said it wasn't aware of any Canadians missing in the abduction at Vizsla's Panuco project site, a gold and silver mining operation in the state of Sinaloa.

Mexican authorities had announced Friday the discovery of bodies and remains in the area where the search for the missing workers was taking place.

The statement from the Mexican Attorney General's Office did not specify how many bodies were found, but said one of the bodies had the "characteristics of one of the people reported as missing."

The office also reported the arrests of four people believed to be tied to the disappearances.

A turf war has played out in the region for more than a year between two rival factions of the Sinaloa drug cartel.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Marco Ugarte

MORE National ARTICLES

Next batch of national interest major projects to be released Thursday, Carney says

Next batch of national interest major projects to be released Thursday, Carney says
Prime Minister Mark Carney says the next tranche of projects the government is referring to the Major Projects Office for review will be announced Thursday.

Next batch of national interest major projects to be released Thursday, Carney says

Animal sanctuary staff in Summerland, B.C., 'devastated' by avian flu case

Animal sanctuary staff in Summerland, B.C., 'devastated' by avian flu case
An animal sanctuary in B.C.'s interior says it is facing a "heartbreaking" experience after discovering a positive case of H5N1, also known as avian flu.

Animal sanctuary staff in Summerland, B.C., 'devastated' by avian flu case

Decades after death, Calgary First World War soldier receives military send off

Decades after death, Calgary First World War soldier receives military send off
Seventy years after his death, a Calgary soldier who was wounded in the First World War was honoured Sunday with a military graveside ceremony. 

Decades after death, Calgary First World War soldier receives military send off

'You have to adapt': Punk rock concerts, wrestling events keep Calgary legion afloat

'You have to adapt': Punk rock concerts, wrestling events keep Calgary legion afloat
Phil MacAulay has been a member of the Royal Canadian Legion for the past 50 years, and even he's surprised at the measures his local branch has taken to keep the 103-year-old building alive.

'You have to adapt': Punk rock concerts, wrestling events keep Calgary legion afloat

Canada has lost its measles elimination status after more than 25 years

Canada has lost its measles elimination status after more than 25 years
The Public Health Agency of Canada says the country has officially lost its measles elimination status, which it had held since 1998.

Canada has lost its measles elimination status after more than 25 years

Indigenous Services minister says community shouldn't worry about zeros in budget

Indigenous Services minister says community shouldn't worry about zeros in budget
The Indigenous Services minister says community leaders shouldn't worry about zeros in the recent federal budget for programs their members rely on.

Indigenous Services minister says community shouldn't worry about zeros in budget