Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2023 04:16 PM
  • B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

SAANICH, B.C. - The British Columbia government is investing millions to upgrade the 911 calling system, allowing for location tracking of callers and texting during emergencies.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the $150-million investment will upgrade the aging system to the Next Generation 911 system and make it more compatible with evolving technology.

Oliver Gruter-Andrew, the CEO of E-Comm 911, which handles most of B.C.'s emergency calls, says the funding is a game-changer for the public safety agency.

He says operators will be able to precisely track the location of a caller, receive a text in an emergency, and have new options on how they respond to people needing mental health support.

Up until now, local governments have been the main funders of the 911 service, but Gruter-Andrew says the looming financial costs have been daunting for cities and municipalities.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has mandated the implementation of Next Generation 911 and the decommissioning of current 911 networks in Canada by March 2025.

E-Comm is experiencing staffing shortages and there have been delays for those needing help during an emergency, but Farnworth says that isn't the focus of this announcement.

"This is about upgrading the technology that allows the individuals at 911 to be able to do their job," he said. "So, it will be an improvement in the service, at the same time as other work (is) underway with E-Comm in terms of staffing and the operations side."

Gruter-Andrew says the new technology will make a difference to staffing requirements.

"Staffing pressure is the highest challenge for E-Comm and so many other agencies, whether it's in the first responder world or elsewhere," he said during the announcement Wednesday at Firehall No. 1 in Saanich, B.C.

"I see this as a fundamental platform build on which we can develop solutions that will help us with the staffing crisis as well as other challenges."

MORE National ARTICLES

Longtime northern B.C. MLA Jack Weisgerber dies

Longtime northern B.C. MLA Jack Weisgerber dies
Jack Weisgerber, who was energy, mines and petroleum resources minister in the Social Credit government of former Premier Bill Vander Zalm, and was B.C.'s first minister of native affairs, was 81 years old.

Longtime northern B.C. MLA Jack Weisgerber dies

Trudeau heads south as Americas confront realities

Trudeau heads south as Americas confront realities
As a cornerstone of Canada's economic growth, federal immigration policy strikes a delicate balance between economic, humanitarian and labour-policy priorities, all the while preserving public buy-in to keep the ever-present political dangers at bay, Selee said.    

Trudeau heads south as Americas confront realities

Evacuations in northwest B.C., as rivers rise

Evacuations in northwest B.C., as rivers rise
Flood watches were posted Sunday for the Dean River in the Fraser Plateau east of Bella Coola and for the Liard River and its tributaries around the northeastern B.C. community of Fort Nelson and along Highway 97 toward Watson Lake.

Evacuations in northwest B.C., as rivers rise

B.C. wildfire season slow to kindle, says expert

B.C. wildfire season slow to kindle, says expert
Wildfires last year destroyed most the village of Lytton and forced almost 200 evacuation orders during a near-record season where 1,610 wildfires charred 8,682 square kilometres of land, primarily in southern and southeastern B.C.

B.C. wildfire season slow to kindle, says expert

A 13 year old male and a 17 year old male in custody for assaulting a man: North Van RCMP

A 13 year old male and a 17 year old male in custody for assaulting a man: North Van RCMP
An officer immediately rendered emergency first aid, applied a police tourniquet, and called for paramedics. The injured man was taken to hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries.

A 13 year old male and a 17 year old male in custody for assaulting a man: North Van RCMP

'Anxiety' over 3-year decriminalization in B.C.

'Anxiety' over 3-year decriminalization in B.C.
Decriminalization is slated to go into effect in B.C. at the end of January 2023, when those 18 and over will not face criminal penalties for possessing a total of 2.5 grams of opioids, cocaine, methamphetamine and MDMA, also known as ecstasy. Police would no longer confiscate drugs.

'Anxiety' over 3-year decriminalization in B.C.