Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2023 04:16 PM
  • B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

SAANICH, B.C. - The British Columbia government is investing millions to upgrade the 911 calling system, allowing for location tracking of callers and texting during emergencies.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the $150-million investment will upgrade the aging system to the Next Generation 911 system and make it more compatible with evolving technology.

Oliver Gruter-Andrew, the CEO of E-Comm 911, which handles most of B.C.'s emergency calls, says the funding is a game-changer for the public safety agency.

He says operators will be able to precisely track the location of a caller, receive a text in an emergency, and have new options on how they respond to people needing mental health support.

Up until now, local governments have been the main funders of the 911 service, but Gruter-Andrew says the looming financial costs have been daunting for cities and municipalities.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has mandated the implementation of Next Generation 911 and the decommissioning of current 911 networks in Canada by March 2025.

E-Comm is experiencing staffing shortages and there have been delays for those needing help during an emergency, but Farnworth says that isn't the focus of this announcement.

"This is about upgrading the technology that allows the individuals at 911 to be able to do their job," he said. "So, it will be an improvement in the service, at the same time as other work (is) underway with E-Comm in terms of staffing and the operations side."

Gruter-Andrew says the new technology will make a difference to staffing requirements.

"Staffing pressure is the highest challenge for E-Comm and so many other agencies, whether it's in the first responder world or elsewhere," he said during the announcement Wednesday at Firehall No. 1 in Saanich, B.C.

"I see this as a fundamental platform build on which we can develop solutions that will help us with the staffing crisis as well as other challenges."

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada's Joly concerned by actions of Chinese jets

Canada's Joly concerned by actions of Chinese jets
Canada deployed a CP-140 Aurora maritime patrol aircraft from April 26 to May 26 to Japan, as part of Operation NEON, a multinational effort to support the implementation of UN Security Council sanctions on North Korea. 

Canada's Joly concerned by actions of Chinese jets

B.C.'s threshold based on police input: Bennett

B.C.'s threshold based on police input: Bennett
The threshold falls short of the 4.5 grams requested by the province and has been criticized as too low by some advocates who say entrenched drug users typically carry more.    

B.C.'s threshold based on police input: Bennett

Metro Vancouver home sales 'more typical': REBGV

Metro Vancouver home sales 'more typical': REBGV
A statement from the board reports 2,918 sales across Metro Vancouver in May, nearly 32 per cent below those recorded in May 2021 and 9.7 per cent below the number of residential properties that changed hands last month.

Metro Vancouver home sales 'more typical': REBGV

Lululemon starts fiscal year strongly

Lululemon starts fiscal year strongly
The Vancouver-based athletic clothing company, which reports in U.S. dollars, says it earned US$1.48 per diluted share in the first quarter, up from US$1.11 per share or US$145 million a year earlier.    

Lululemon starts fiscal year strongly

Female stabbed inside a Surrey grocery store in Guildford area

Female stabbed inside a Surrey grocery store in Guildford area
Police arrived within minutes of the call and located a female victim suffering from apparent stab wounds. The victim was given first aid at the scene and then transported to hospital with serious injuries.

Female stabbed inside a Surrey grocery store in Guildford area

BC Prosecution approves charges against Surrey RCMP officer Jagjeet Bassan

BC Prosecution approves charges against Surrey RCMP officer Jagjeet Bassan
The BC Prosecution Service (BCPS) announced today that a charge of assault causing bodily harm has been approved against Surrey RCMP Cst. Jagjeet Bassan in connection with their involvement in an on-duty incident. 

BC Prosecution approves charges against Surrey RCMP officer Jagjeet Bassan