Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2023 04:16 PM
  • B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

SAANICH, B.C. - The British Columbia government is investing millions to upgrade the 911 calling system, allowing for location tracking of callers and texting during emergencies.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the $150-million investment will upgrade the aging system to the Next Generation 911 system and make it more compatible with evolving technology.

Oliver Gruter-Andrew, the CEO of E-Comm 911, which handles most of B.C.'s emergency calls, says the funding is a game-changer for the public safety agency.

He says operators will be able to precisely track the location of a caller, receive a text in an emergency, and have new options on how they respond to people needing mental health support.

Up until now, local governments have been the main funders of the 911 service, but Gruter-Andrew says the looming financial costs have been daunting for cities and municipalities.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has mandated the implementation of Next Generation 911 and the decommissioning of current 911 networks in Canada by March 2025.

E-Comm is experiencing staffing shortages and there have been delays for those needing help during an emergency, but Farnworth says that isn't the focus of this announcement.

"This is about upgrading the technology that allows the individuals at 911 to be able to do their job," he said. "So, it will be an improvement in the service, at the same time as other work (is) underway with E-Comm in terms of staffing and the operations side."

Gruter-Andrew says the new technology will make a difference to staffing requirements.

"Staffing pressure is the highest challenge for E-Comm and so many other agencies, whether it's in the first responder world or elsewhere," he said during the announcement Wednesday at Firehall No. 1 in Saanich, B.C.

"I see this as a fundamental platform build on which we can develop solutions that will help us with the staffing crisis as well as other challenges."

MORE National ARTICLES

Former B.C. clerk to be sentenced July 4

Former B.C. clerk to be sentenced July 4
The fraud charge against Craig James was stayed last week because it was related to the same set of evidence involving nearly $1,900 in claims he made for work attire, so a conviction was not entered on that count.

Former B.C. clerk to be sentenced July 4

Leaf blowers, gas tools axed in Oak Bay, B.C.

Leaf blowers, gas tools axed in Oak Bay, B.C.
Councillors have voted unanimously in favour of a ban on the noisy, fume-producing tools, including chainsaws and lawn mowers. Users, from homeowners to professional landscaping companies, will have three years to phase out gas-powered items.    

Leaf blowers, gas tools axed in Oak Bay, B.C.

Airport shutdown prompted by inert grenades: RCMP

Airport shutdown prompted by inert grenades: RCMP
RCMP Cpl. Andres Sanchez describes the items as looking and feeling like "the real thing," but lacking the internal parts required to explode. He says airport security staff called 911 and held the bag in the X-ray machine until police arrived and found that a second bag belonging to the same man was also inside the machine, but it had yet to be scanned.

Airport shutdown prompted by inert grenades: RCMP

One dead in ammonia leak in Kamloops, B.C.

One dead in ammonia leak in Kamloops, B.C.
The city says in a written statement that the RCMP and firefighters responded to the scene and several businesses were evacuated. It says police and WorkSafeBC are investigating how the ammonia was released, and the coroners service has also launched an investigation.

One dead in ammonia leak in Kamloops, B.C.

B.C. regulator backs homebuyer cooling-off period

B.C. regulator backs homebuyer cooling-off period
The report released Thursday advises that sellers be required to provide reasonable access for a property inspection during the three-day homebuyer protection period, which would start the day after an offer is accepted.

B.C. regulator backs homebuyer cooling-off period

Man arrested after sexually assaulting four women at a busy Vancouver SkyTrain Station

Man arrested after sexually assaulting four women at a busy Vancouver SkyTrain Station
On Friday, May 13, 2022, just before 4:30 p.m., a woman was sitting on a bench inside Pacific Centre Mall, near Granville Station, when a man allegedly approached her, touched her hip and attempted to pull her toward him. The suspect was interrupted by a Paladin Security Guard who shouted at him to stop and then called police.

Man arrested after sexually assaulting four women at a busy Vancouver SkyTrain Station