Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. landslide 'dramatically' impacts salmon spawn but conditions improve: task force

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Aug, 2024 03:18 PM
  • B.C. landslide 'dramatically' impacts salmon spawn but conditions improve: task force

The Tsilhqot'in National Government says river conditions are "slowly improving" after the massive landslide that temporarily dammed the Chilcotin River last month, but salmon spawning activity is being delayed.

An update from the Tsilhqot'in emergency salmon task force says debris and sediment from the slide are "dramatically" impacting sockeye and Chinook salmon spawning runs.

The task force's latest situation report says observations from a helicopter show the river flow is "evening out," and murky conditions are getting better, though the flow is still much higher than normal.

The report says the improving conditions are only part of a "complex puzzle," and fish likely still lack an "unimpeded" path at the slide site.

It says fish monitoring equipment has only detected 31 Chinook and 16 sockeye passing through the slide site at a time when thousands of sockeye should be moving through.

The task force says some fish populations made it through to their spawning grounds before the slide, and others make their runs later in the year.

It says it's hoped fish make it past the slide zone without intervention "unless absolutely necessary."

MORE National ARTICLES

Rain, cooler weather could bring relief to B.C. wildfire crews as new fires start

Rain, cooler weather could bring relief to B.C. wildfire crews as new fires start
The wildfire service says more than 200 of those blazes remain out of control, including a small fire northwest of Princeton that was sparked by a malfunctioning ATV but grew quickly, forcing a speedy but safe evacuation of about 1,000 people at a nearby music festival on Sunday night.

Rain, cooler weather could bring relief to B.C. wildfire crews as new fires start

Business groups ask government for labour changes after end of B.C. port dispute

Business groups ask government for labour changes after end of B.C. port dispute
Business groups continued to call on the federal government to take action in the wake of the recently resolved British Columbia port workers dispute on Saturday, arguing Ottawa must ensure such a disruption never happens again. But the federal government is walking a difficult tightrope between the demands of the business community and protecting workers' constitutional rights.

Business groups ask government for labour changes after end of B.C. port dispute

Mounties in Coquitlam seek witnesses to attempted murder in city park

Mounties in Coquitlam seek witnesses to attempted murder in city park
Coquitlam RCMP say they're investigating an altercation between "at least two adult males" in Brookmere Park that occurred around 9:15 in the morning. Investigators say they're looking for more witnesses and any video footage of the altercation, but the nature of what exactly happened remains unknown. 

Mounties in Coquitlam seek witnesses to attempted murder in city park

Edmonton police charge man with attempted murder after unprovoked machete attacks

Edmonton police charge man with attempted murder after unprovoked machete attacks
Bobby-James Lavallee, who is 33, of Prince George, B.C., is charged with attempted murder, four counts of aggravated assault and breaches of conditions. Police are asking for the public’s help to locate the machete as it may still be near the scene.

Edmonton police charge man with attempted murder after unprovoked machete attacks

Cyclospora Outbreak in BC

Cyclospora Outbreak in BC
The B-C Centre for Disease Control says there have been a record high 43 cases of cyclospora infections in the province this year. The illness is from a parasite not found in Canada but the centre says infections are linked to eating contaminated, imported raw produce, especially leafy greens, fresh herbs and berries.

Cyclospora Outbreak in BC

More Osoyoos, B.C., wildfire evacuees can head home as another order lifts

More Osoyoos, B.C., wildfire evacuees can head home as another order lifts
An evacuation order that includes an industrial area in the town has been downgraded to an alert as the threat from the Eagle Bluff wildfire recedes, days after it threatened the town before favourable winds pushed it away. 

More Osoyoos, B.C., wildfire evacuees can head home as another order lifts