Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. LNG facility maps plan to early net zero

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Mar, 2023 04:27 PM
  • B.C. LNG facility maps plan to early net zero

SQUAMISH, B.C. - Proponents of a British Columbia liquefied natural gas export facility have unveiled plans to achieve net-zero emissions commitments in the construction phase and for its future operations.

Woodfibre LNG says in a statement it plans to meet net-zero emissions by the time operations start at the south coast export facility in 2027.

Company president Christine Kennedy says emission reduction opportunities are a priority for the project as it implements a strategy that will result in the world's first net-zero facility.

She says Woodfibre LNG will be able to reach the goal with electrical compressors, using 14 times fewer emissions than a gas-burning LNG plant.

Kennedy says Woodfibre LNG will also reduce emissions through carbon credits from the nearby Cheakamus Community Forest, a nature-based carbon offset project in Whistler, B.C., where the municipality and Squamish and Lil'wat nations are partners.

The B.C. government introduced a framework last week that will require new liquefied natural gas facilities to have credible plans for net-zero emissions by 2030.

“Alongside the leadership and vision set out by the province’s new Energy Action Framework, achieving net zero allows Woodfibre LNG to advance the global energy transition, furthering economic reconciliation and contributing to British Columbia’s standard of living," says Kennedy in a statement.

MORE National ARTICLES

Flood leads to devastating loss for B.C. farm

Flood leads to devastating loss for B.C. farm
Tiffany de Leeuw says her in-laws realized the gravity of the disaster facing their farm on the Sumas Prairie when a field flooded in 30 minutes. She said her father-in-law and brother-in-law quickly set out with cattle trailers on the first day of the flooding to save animals boarding on the property while other relatives worked to build dikes to protect their third-generation farm.

Flood leads to devastating loss for B.C. farm

B.C. releasing plans for sick leave program

B.C. releasing plans for sick leave program
Labour Minister Harry Bains has scheduled a news conference with provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry about a permanent program on sick leave, which has been promised for January.

B.C. releasing plans for sick leave program

New hospital moves forward in Surrey

New hospital moves forward in Surrey
People in Surrey are a step closer to a new Surrey hospital and cancer centre with the issuing of the request for qualifications (RFQ). Through the RFQ process, Fraser Health will identify a short list of up to three qualified proponents who will be invited to participate in the next step of the competitive selection process, the request for proposal (RFP) stage.

New hospital moves forward in Surrey

No-surprise throne speech outlines Liberal agenda

No-surprise throne speech outlines Liberal agenda
A vote on the throne speech will be the first confidence test for the government, with the Liberals' survival dependent on the support of at least one opposition party.

No-surprise throne speech outlines Liberal agenda

Tories challenge mandatory vaccine rule for MPs

Tories challenge mandatory vaccine rule for MPs
Tory whip Blake Richards is asking the Commons Speaker, Anthony Rota, to rule that the the seven-member, multi-party body that governs the House does not have the authority to impose a vaccine mandate on all MPs.

Tories challenge mandatory vaccine rule for MPs

324 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

324 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
There are 3,047 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 210,478 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 345 individuals are in hospital and 115 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

324 COVID19 cases for Tuesday