Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Mill Owners, Operator To Review Ruling After Workers' Deaths In Blast

The Canadian Press, 06 Aug, 2015 10:58 AM
    VANCOUVER — The owners of a northern British Columbia sawmill and its operator say they will review the recommendations of a coroners inquest into the deaths of two workers in an explosion.
     
    Hampton Affiliates and Babine Forest Products say they will also discuss last week's ruling with employees in the next 60 days.
     
    The inquest concluded that 45-year-old Robert Luggi and 42-year-old Carl Charlie died accidentally after a January 2012 blast at the mill about 200 kilometres west of Prince George.
     
    A WorkSafeBC investigation revealed an accumulation of wood dust was a major factor in the disaster that also injured 19 other workers and flattened the mill.
     
    The jury made 33 recommendations, and the coroner came up with another eight on how similar tragedies could be avoided in the future, including that the company ensure compliance with the National Fire Code.
     
    Babine Forest Products and Hampton Affiliates say the new mill was designed to meet or exceed all current fire, dust and electrical regulations.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    High Speed A Factor In Highway 16 Crash Near Valemount: Police

    High Speed A Factor In Highway 16 Crash Near Valemount: Police
    Police were called early Friday to a report of a serious vehicle rollover on the highway east of Tete Jaune Junction, about 40 kilometres west of the Alberta boundary.

    High Speed A Factor In Highway 16 Crash Near Valemount: Police

    Man, 31, To Face Child Sex-Assault Charge In B.C. Court, Remains In Custody

    Man, 31, To Face Child Sex-Assault Charge In B.C. Court, Remains In Custody
    RCMP Cpl. Dave Tyreman says Kevin Belcourt has been charged with one count each of sexual assault, sexual interference and luring through telecommunications.

    Man, 31, To Face Child Sex-Assault Charge In B.C. Court, Remains In Custody

    2 Vanderhoof, B.C., Men Face Shooting Charges Over 18-Year-Old Woman's Death

    2 Vanderhoof, B.C., Men Face Shooting Charges Over 18-Year-Old Woman's Death
    RCMP now say 27-year-old Kayne Penner faces charges of manslaughter and careless use of a firearm.

    2 Vanderhoof, B.C., Men Face Shooting Charges Over 18-Year-Old Woman's Death

    Surrey Shooting That Sent Two To Hospital Appears Targeted: RCMP

    Surrey Shooting That Sent Two To Hospital Appears Targeted: RCMP
    Residents reported hearing gunshots in their neighbourhood at about 1 a.m. Friday, and RCMP arrived to find the two wounded men.

    Surrey Shooting That Sent Two To Hospital Appears Targeted: RCMP

    Journalist's Defamation Trial Against John Furlong Draws To A Close

    Journalist's Defamation Trial Against John Furlong Draws To A Close
    VANCOUVER — Former Vancouver Olympics boss John Furlong defamed a journalist when he portrayed her as heartless, cruel and callous, said her lawyer as a heated civil trial drew to a close Friday.

    Journalist's Defamation Trial Against John Furlong Draws To A Close

    Concerns For Fish, Water Supply Grow Amid High B.C. Temperatures

    Concerns For Fish, Water Supply Grow Amid High B.C. Temperatures
    VANCOUVER — Environmental concerns are rising along with the soaring temperatures in British Columbia, where a heat wave has generated worries about forests fires, water supplies and fish habitats.

    Concerns For Fish, Water Supply Grow Amid High B.C. Temperatures