Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. overdose crisis unrelenting in July

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:37 AM
  • B.C. overdose crisis unrelenting in July

VICTORIA - A new report from British Columbia's coroner says suspected illicit drug toxicity deaths in July were the second-highest ever recorded in a single month in the province.

The findings show deaths reached 184 in July, which tied with those in January 2021 and fell just behind June 2020 when 186 people died.

The report comes less than a month after chief coroner Lisa Lapointe said January to June was the deadliest ever for drug toxicity in B.C.

With data from July added, the report says the 1,204 suspected illicit drug toxicity deaths are the highest ever in the first seven months of a year — 28 per cent above the same period last year.

Lapointe says an average of almost six people died every day in July, with 72 per cent between the ages of 30 and 59, while men accounted for nearly 80 per cent of the total fatalities.

Deaths involving fentanyl stayed at 86 per cent, unchanged from 2020, but the report says deaths linked to extreme fentanyl concentrations jumped to 13 per cent from eight per cent.

The ultrapowerful opioid carfentanil was detected in 113 deaths this year, compared with 65 over the same period last year.

When Lapointe released her last report in August, covering drug toxicity deaths over the first half of the year, she said it was "tremendously frustrating" to see the lack of significant progress in stemming fatalities.

The new report says Vancouver Coastal Health and Northern Health have the highest rates of drug toxicity deaths with 47 and 46 deaths respectively per 100,000 population, while the overall rate is 40 deaths per 100,000 residents.

Communities with the highest rates include Merritt, Powell River, Enderby, Peace River South, and Hope, says the report.

Most overdoses in 2021 have been indoors, in private homes, while data show 15 per cent have happened outside in vehicles, parks, sidewalks or streets.

No deaths have been reported at supervised consumption or drug overdose prevention sites, the report says.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Bus and a vehicle crash in Abbotsford results in 16 people injured

Bus and a vehicle crash in Abbotsford results in 16 people injured
The transport van was carrying 14 passengers, all of whom were either treated on scene or transported to hospital by BC Emergency Health Services. The third vehicle involved had a lone driver who was transported to hospital via BCEHS. 

Bus and a vehicle crash in Abbotsford results in 16 people injured

Group calls for daycares and schools to align

Group calls for daycares and schools to align
The research from People for Education said a proper child-care setup would help give kids the skills they need to carry them through life, including communication and critical and creative thinking.

Group calls for daycares and schools to align

GG likely to agree to a Trudeau election request

GG likely to agree to a Trudeau election request
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has asked Simon to refuse any request from Trudeau to dissolve Parliament and send voters to the ballot box, noting that the fixed-election law states that every general election must be held on the third Monday of October four calendar years after the last one.

GG likely to agree to a Trudeau election request

Calgary Stampede linked to at least 71 COVID cases

Calgary Stampede linked to at least 71 COVID cases
Dr. Stephanie Smith, an infectious disease specialist at the University of Alberta, said it's too early to know the repercussions of Stampede.

Calgary Stampede linked to at least 71 COVID cases

B.C. deficit lower than forecast at $5.5 billion

B.C. deficit lower than forecast at $5.5 billion
Finance Minister Selina Robinson says the final numbers show a deficit of $5.46 billion compared to the original forecast of almost $8.2 billion.

B.C. deficit lower than forecast at $5.5 billion

Health agency wants five years to answer request

Health agency wants five years to answer request
The applicant recently asked the Public Health Agency of Canada for emails, texts and messages that president Iain Stewart had sent or received from June 14 to 21.

Health agency wants five years to answer request