Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC

Darpan News Desk IANS, 09 Dec, 2022 04:22 PM
  • B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC

VANCOUVER - The British Columbia Centre for Disease Control says a deadly spike in acute respiratory illness is showing signs of stabilizing, after the flu-related deaths of at least six children and youth this season.

The centre says in a new update that influenza A was the most detected virus in B.C. last week, while wastewater tests indicate a slow increase in COVID-19 infections.

It says B.C. is experiencing an unusual season for respiratory illnesses with "unusual characteristics," including an intense early surge in cases and the flu-related deaths of children and youth.

The centre says enhanced surveillance has been introduced as a result, which includes the reporting of influenza-related deaths of children and youth.

It says although test positivity remains high for both influenza and respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, the numbers have levelled off in the past week.

The six young people who died with influenza include one child under five, three aged five to nine, and two youths aged 15 to 19 years.

Friday's update from the CDC comes a day after provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said pediatric flu deaths would be included in the centre's weekly updates.

"Early findings indicate some of the children experienced secondary bacterial infections contributing to severe illness, which can be a complication of influenza," Henry said in a statement.

"It is important to know that death associated with influenza in previously healthy children continues to be rare."

The CDC also reports 17 deaths last week among patients within 30 days of a first positive COVID-19 test, a figure that it says has been declining.

It says there were 539 COVID-19 cases reported and 140 new hospital admissions, including 33 in critical care.

The recent flu deaths among children mark a departure from the average two to three recorded annually among children in the province between 2015 and 2019, data from the BC Coroners Service shows.

MORE National ARTICLES

MLA Jinny Sims sets sights on Surrey mayor's chair

MLA Jinny Sims sets sights on Surrey mayor's chair
Sims made it official Wednesday at an event with the newly formed municipal party Surrey Forward and the party's four declared council candidates, Ramon Bandong, Jim Bennett, June Liu and Theresa Pidcock.    

MLA Jinny Sims sets sights on Surrey mayor's chair

Homeless man thrown rocks at in area of Park Royal Mall

Homeless man thrown rocks at in area of Park Royal Mall
The male yelled at the victim and threw several large rocks which resulted in lacerations to the victim’s head and hand. The suspect was not known to the victim and the motive behind the Assault is also unclear.

Homeless man thrown rocks at in area of Park Royal Mall

Retired general charged with sexual assault

Retired general charged with sexual assault
Trudeau says military police opted to lay the charges after civilian counterparts decided not to accept the case because the investigation was nearly finished.    

Retired general charged with sexual assault

Trudeau to attend Commonwealth, G7, NATO summits

Trudeau to attend Commonwealth, G7, NATO summits
The G7 summit in Schloss Elmau, Germany, from June 26 to 28 will also be largely focused on the conflict in Ukraine, but leaders will discuss global access to COVID-19 vaccines as well.    

Trudeau to attend Commonwealth, G7, NATO summits

Man involved in stabbing of a stranger at Tim Hortons gets 3 year sentence

Man involved in stabbing of a stranger at Tim Hortons gets 3 year sentence
David Morin, 28, pleaded guilty Tuesday to aggravated assault and received a three-year sentence in relation to the January 22 stabbing of a stranger inside the Tim Hortons at Harbour Centre.

Man involved in stabbing of a stranger at Tim Hortons gets 3 year sentence

Ottawa police promise outreach to Sikh community

Ottawa police promise outreach to Sikh community
The organizers of the rally, held in remembrance of the victims of the 1984 massacre of Sikhs in India, had a permit to hold the event on Parliament Hill. When they arrived, they were told the area was shut down due to an ongoing threat and they moved to the lawn of the Supreme Court of Canada.

Ottawa police promise outreach to Sikh community