Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. risks 'carpet' of rotting apples without help after co-op's closure: growers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2024 12:52 PM
  • B.C. risks 'carpet' of rotting apples without help after co-op's closure: growers

As gala apples ripen on British Columbia's trees, the president of the provincial fruit growers' group worries about a devastating season without a way for farmers to refrigerate their crops. 

Peter Simonsen of the BC Fruit Growers' Association says without infrastructure provided by the BC Tree Fruits Cooperative, which abruptly closed last month, it may not be worth picking this year, leaving a "carpet of apples" on the floor of orchards.

B.C. Agriculture Minister Pam Alexis says the emergency group she tasked to come up with solutions after the co-op closed will have news "soon," but adds there are enough other fruit packers to make up for the loss.

Political rivals, industry representatives and those growing the fruit have called on the government to step in and acquire some of what the co-op left behind, particularly the temperature-controlled cold storage, which allows galas to last for up to 10 months before being sold.

Simonsen says without the storage, growers will be forced to scramble to sell their product in September and October, driving down prices for apples.

Last month, the BC Tree Fruits Cooperative announced that "extremely low" volumes of fruit and difficult market conditions led to the decision to close and it would be going to court to wind down the organization.

Alexis says because of the court process, it's unlikely the government would be able to acquire the co-op's storage.

Simonsen says growers don't feel like the government is listening to their concerns.

"A significant segment of our industry is in big, big trouble. And they are very upset," he said.

Alexis acknowledged the tight timeline as the galas are ready to be picked in less than a week.

"It's a terrible situation to be in, but we value the farmer in British Columbia. We have made food security our top priority, and I can tell you that everything we do is about improving conditions so that the farmer can produce more food for British Columbia," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Searchers look for B.C. teen missing in provincial park since Tuesday

Searchers look for B.C. teen missing in provincial park since Tuesday
RCMP say 16-year-old Esther Wang from Langley, B.C., was part of a group of four people who were hiking in Golden Ears Provincial Park on Tuesday.  The group left a lookout point at about 2:45 p.m. to head back to their campground and about 15 minutes later they noticed that Wang was missing.

Searchers look for B.C. teen missing in provincial park since Tuesday

Sketch of an unidentified man released:VPD

Sketch of an unidentified man released:VPD
Vancouver Police have released a composite sketch of an unidentified man who died after being found in medical distress this spring. They say the man was found on the grounds of the Britannia Community Centre on March 24th and died later in hospital.  

Sketch of an unidentified man released:VPD

Student charged in University of Waterloo stabbing that injured three

Student charged in University of Waterloo stabbing that injured three
The violence that took place on the campus about 100 kilometres west of Toronto a day earlier left three people injured and many others expressing shock at what happened.  The stabbings sent a 38-year-old professor and two students – a 20-year-old woman and 19-year-old man – to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

Student charged in University of Waterloo stabbing that injured three

Canada, allies head to international court over Iran's downing of Flight PS752

Canada, allies head to international court over Iran's downing of Flight PS752
Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps shot down the Ukrainian Airlines flight just minutes after takeoff on Jan. 8, 2020, killing all 176 people on board.  The passengers included 55 Canadian citizens and 30 permanent residents, along with others with ties to Canada.

Canada, allies head to international court over Iran's downing of Flight PS752

Burnaby man dies in home invasion

Burnaby man dies in home invasion
A woman was also found injured in the home, but police say her injuries aren't considered life threatening. Burnaby R-C-M-P say they were called at around seven this morning to a report of a home invasion. 

Burnaby man dies in home invasion

Canada invites 500 healthcare workers in its first category-based Express Entry draw

Canada invites 500 healthcare workers in its first category-based Express Entry draw
Canada has invited 500 healthcare workers to immigrate under its new category-based Express Entry selection draws with candidates requiring a minimum comprehensive ranking system (CRS) score of 476. Following this first category-based selection draw since six new categories were announced in May, a second round inviting 1,500 workers to apply will take place on July 5.

Canada invites 500 healthcare workers in its first category-based Express Entry draw