Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. to announce more support for tourism sector

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 May, 2021 09:52 AM
  • B.C. to announce more support for tourism sector

Further help is on the way for British Columbia's struggling tourism sector.

B.C. Premier John Horgan and Tourism Minister Melanie Mark are set to announce more support today for the sector that's lobbied the province for greater aid as it grapples with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.

A group of four tourism and hospitality industry associations reacted to B.C.'s budget announced last month, saying in a news release at the time that tourism-related spending was welcome, but it may not be enough to save some businesses before ongoing travel restrictions are lifted.

Non-essential travel is restricted between three regional zones in B.C. until at least May 24, when the province's emergency order is set to expire.

Finance Minister Selina Robinson has said a $120-million tourism support fund in the budget was based on projections of recovery in the industry.

Eligible tourism-related businesses may also apply to B.C.'s COVID-19 recovery grand program for small and medium-sized businesses.

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspect in fatal B.C. stabbing appears in court

Suspect in fatal B.C. stabbing appears in court
Police have said shortly after Bandaogo was arrested near the scene of the stabbing at the Lynn Valley library last Saturday that he underwent surgery for self-inflicted wounds.

Suspect in fatal B.C. stabbing appears in court

Facts on J&J's COVID shot, arriving end of April

Facts on J&J's COVID shot, arriving end of April
Canada approved the vaccine in early March and had pre-ordered 10 million doses, but manufacturing problems from the company led to shipment delays to Canada and elsewhere.

Facts on J&J's COVID shot, arriving end of April

Five million Canadians now have at least one dose

Five million Canadians now have at least one dose
The number of people vaccinated with at least one dose topped five million as of Thursday morning, leaving about 27 million people over 16 still needing a first dose.

Five million Canadians now have at least one dose

Canada-U.S. dispute emerges over whale's death

Canada-U.S. dispute emerges over whale's death
Fisheries and Oceans Canada issued a statement Wednesday saying it had determined the gear, retrieved after a whale known as Cottontail was found dead on Feb. 27, likely came from an American inshore fishing boat.

Canada-U.S. dispute emerges over whale's death

Ontario going into 4-week 'shutdown'

Ontario going into 4-week 'shutdown'
Citing the need for drastic action, Ford said the change will take effect Saturday and continue for at least four weeks.

Ontario going into 4-week 'shutdown'

U.S. union leader: 'Canada is not the problem'

U.S. union leader: 'Canada is not the problem'
United Steelworkers international president Tom Conway issued a joint statement with Canadian counterpart Ken Neumann aimed at making Canada's case for an exemption from Joe Biden's "Buy America" regulations.

U.S. union leader: 'Canada is not the problem'