Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. to bring in housing supply, rental changes

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 21 Nov, 2022 02:09 PM
  • B.C. to bring in housing supply, rental changes

VICTORIA - The British Columbia government is moving to increase housing supply with measures that will end rental restrictions and force local governments to meet housing growth targets.

Housing Minister Murray Rankin introduced two pieces of legislation today, saying the province will work with local governments on the housing targets and that rental restrictions on apartment complexes will be removed.

Premier David Eby, who was sworn in on Friday, says housing is one of the most critical issues that he will immediately address.

The legislation includes provisions that allow the province to force municipal compliance, although the government says it doesn't expect that will be necessary for communities facing a housing crisis.

The legislation would also change the law to remove discriminatory age limits in all condominium properties covered by the Strata Property Act, however 55-plus buildings would remain to preserve seniors' communities.

Eby, who was housing minister before running for premier, released a housing plan during his leadership campaign aimed at addressing affordability, targeting speculators and protecting renters.

The premier said on Friday that he planned to "hit the ground running" and then set out two one-time payments for residents, to help mitigate inflation pressures on them.

He announced a new public safety plan on Sunday to increase enforcement on repeat violent offenders and expand mental-health crisis response teams.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home
IHIT has identified the victim as Troy Michael Regnier, in hopes of furthering their investigation. Surrey RCMP arrested three suspects at the scene, who were believed to have been known to the victim, though at this time no charges have been laid.

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan
The guidelines released Thursday encourage pupils and others to get vaccinated and to stay home when they are sick, while masking remains optional and is described as being a "personal or family choice."  

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday
RCMP Const. Mike Della-Paolera says police responded to a report that the boy was unconscious and not breathing and arrived at a home as a family member was performing CPR on the child on the hood of his vehicle. Della-Paolera says police were told the child had ingested an unknown substance.

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide
John Frederick Field, 60, received statutory release from Kent Institution on Thursday, but left his Vancouver halfway house around 7:30 p.m. and has not been seen or heard from since.His current whereabouts are unknown, and he is considered a significant risk to the public.

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby
Charges have been approved against a 59-year-old man in relation to an Indecent Act that occurred on Lougheed Highway in North Burnaby earlier this year. Burnaby RCMP’s High Risk Offender Unit took conduct of the investigation with assistance from other plainclothes units within the detachment.

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby

IHIT has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting.

IHIT has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting.
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting. Officers attended the scene and located two men associated to a taxi suffering from gun shot wounds.  

IHIT has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting.