Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. to bring in new rules on short-term rentals to create more housing

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Oct, 2023 10:26 AM
  • B.C. to bring in new rules on short-term rentals to create more housing

The B.C. government has introduced legislation that would rein in what it says is a rapidly expanding short-term rental market. 

Premier David Eby says the number of short-term rentals has ballooned in recent years and the government is taking action to reduce “profit-driven mini-hotel operators” by bringing in new enforcement tools.

Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon introduced the bill in the legislature today, saying there has been "an explosion" of short-term rental units and this legislation will target areas with high housing needs.

The changes would also require platforms to share data with municipalities to improve local enforcement, a shift expected by next summer.

The legislation would force short-term rental platforms to share their data with the province for enforcement and tax purposes, and would limit short-term rentals to within a host’s own home, or a basement suite or laneway home on their property. 

Most of the rules will apply to communities that have a population of 10,000 or more, and a provincial host and platform registry will be established by late next year. 

The government says short-term rental listings on online platforms, such as Airbnb, VRBO, Expedia and FlipKey, have expanded rapidly since the COVID-19 pandemic and are now at an all-time high. 

MORE National ARTICLES

'Troubled' Eby seeks CSIS interference briefing

'Troubled' Eby seeks CSIS interference briefing
The report prompted Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim to say on Thursday that he was disgusted by its "insinuations," and he wouldn't be part of the conversation if he was Caucasian. Eby says the majority of tools to fight international interference are in federal hands, but he needs to know if there's any way for B.C. to "close any gaps" that the province may have available to it.

'Troubled' Eby seeks CSIS interference briefing

A suspect has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a man in Chinatown

A suspect has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a man in Chinatown
A suspect has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a man in Chinatown, following a five-week Vancouver Police investigation. BC Prosecution Service has approved one count of second-degree murder against Jaal Routh Kueth, a 30-year-old man from Surrey. Kueth remains in custody.

A suspect has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a man in Chinatown

Take up case of 700 Punjabi students deportation from Canada: Sukhbir Badal

Take up case of 700 Punjabi students deportation from Canada: Sukhbir Badal
Giving details of the case, Badal said the students paid Rs 16 to Rs 20 lakh to the company which purportedly facilitated their admission in Humber College in Ontario by generating fake admission offer letters along with fake fee deposit receipts.

Take up case of 700 Punjabi students deportation from Canada: Sukhbir Badal

Inflation expected to have eased again in February

Inflation expected to have eased again in February
Statistics Canada is set to release its February consumer price index report on Tuesday, giving its most up-to-date reading on inflation ahead of the federal government's budget on March 28. Desjardins and RBC are both forecasting the inflation rate fell to 5.4 per cent last month, down from 5.9 per cent in January.

Inflation expected to have eased again in February

Man shot, killed by police in Prince George, B.C.

Man shot, killed by police in Prince George, B.C.
A statement from RCMP says the force has notified the independent B.C. office that investigates all cases of police-involved death or serious injury. Staff Sgt. Kris Clark says officers were called to Highway 97 just south of Prince George on Thursday because the man was in his vehicle and having a mental health crisis.

Man shot, killed by police in Prince George, B.C.

Homes under construction in Burnaby, Coquitlam, and West Vancouver targeted by theft home finishings and fixtures stolen.

Homes under construction in Burnaby, Coquitlam, and West Vancouver targeted by theft home finishings and  fixtures stolen.
The stolen property included everything from stoves, fridges, toilets and plumbing fixtures, to flooring and lighting, with many items still in their original packaging. The value of seized goods is estimated to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some individual items are estimated to be worth as much as $25,000.

Homes under construction in Burnaby, Coquitlam, and West Vancouver targeted by theft home finishings and fixtures stolen.