Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Wildfire Service Says Some Campfire Bans Could Be Gone By The Weekend

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2018 12:56 PM
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. — The BC Wildfire Service says cooler, wetter weather in the forecast means some of the campfire bans in effect across British Columbia could be lifted soon.
     
     
    The wildfire service says it is evaluating which bans are still necessary and expects to release more details soon.
     
     
    A tweet posted by the service says campfire bans currently in place for the Prince George, Cariboo and Kamloops fire centres will likely be rescinded before this weekend, while bans in other parts of the province could be partially lifted. 
     
     
    Currently, open fires and campfires are banned in all six of B.C.'s fire centres, although fires no larger than a half-metre by a half-metre have been permitted in the Fort Nelson and Peace forest districts since late last month.
     
     
    The fire danger rating in B.C. has fallen significantly in recent weeks, but the wildfire service still shows much of Vancouver Island, the inner south coast, Kitimat and Bulkley-Nechako regions remain at a high to extreme risk. 
     
     
    Just over 2,000 wildfires have been sparked across B.C. since Apr. 1, charring more than 13,000 square kilometres of timber, and 34 fires of note are still burning, although the wildfire service says one of the largest, just north of Fraser Lake, is not likely to spread more.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Medicine Hat Man Pleads Guilty To Threatening Prime Minister Trudeau

    Medicine Hat Man Pleads Guilty To Threatening Prime Minister Trudeau
    William Benham, 52, was in Medicine Hat provincial court today and entered a guilty plea to charges of uttering threats and threats to cause damage to property.

    Medicine Hat Man Pleads Guilty To Threatening Prime Minister Trudeau

    Operators Of Threatened Independent Vancouver Cinema Launch Its Second Act

    Operators Of Threatened Independent Vancouver Cinema Launch Its Second Act
    The operators of one of the last independent movie theatres in Vancouver say their multimillion-dollar offer to buy the aging cinema has been accepted and now they have 60 days to finalize the deal.

    Operators Of Threatened Independent Vancouver Cinema Launch Its Second Act

    Lululemon Sues For Copyright Infringement By Group Of Counterfeiters

    VANCOUVER — Lululemon Athletic Canada Inc. has filed a lawsuit in the United States alleging a connected group of unidentified defendants created hundreds of online stores selling counterfeit Lululemon goods.

    Lululemon Sues For Copyright Infringement By Group Of Counterfeiters

    Homicide Probe In Penticton, B.C., Leads To Arrest, Release, Of Young Woman

    Homicide Probe In Penticton, B.C., Leads To Arrest, Release, Of Young Woman
    A 20-year-old British Columbia woman was arrested, and almost immediately released, in connection with the homicide of a 17-year-old male in Penticton nearly one year ago.

    Homicide Probe In Penticton, B.C., Leads To Arrest, Release, Of Young Woman

    B.C. And Airbnb Reach Deal To Collect 11 Per Cent In Taxes To Fund Housing Plans

    VICTORIA — The British Columbia government and Airbnb have reached a deal to collect taxes on short-term rentals and the money will be used to fund housing affordability initiatives.

    B.C. And Airbnb Reach Deal To Collect 11 Per Cent In Taxes To Fund Housing Plans

    Youth Who Ran Into Road After Traffic Stop In Coquitlam Is Seriously Injured

    Youth Who Ran Into Road After Traffic Stop In Coquitlam Is Seriously Injured
    British Columbia's police watchdog says a 17-year-old youth was badly injured when he ran into traffic on the Trans-Canada Highway on Monday night after a traffic stop in Coquitlam.

    Youth Who Ran Into Road After Traffic Stop In Coquitlam Is Seriously Injured