Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Wildfire Service Says Some Campfire Bans Could Be Gone By The Weekend

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2018 12:56 PM
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. — The BC Wildfire Service says cooler, wetter weather in the forecast means some of the campfire bans in effect across British Columbia could be lifted soon.
     
     
    The wildfire service says it is evaluating which bans are still necessary and expects to release more details soon.
     
     
    A tweet posted by the service says campfire bans currently in place for the Prince George, Cariboo and Kamloops fire centres will likely be rescinded before this weekend, while bans in other parts of the province could be partially lifted. 
     
     
    Currently, open fires and campfires are banned in all six of B.C.'s fire centres, although fires no larger than a half-metre by a half-metre have been permitted in the Fort Nelson and Peace forest districts since late last month.
     
     
    The fire danger rating in B.C. has fallen significantly in recent weeks, but the wildfire service still shows much of Vancouver Island, the inner south coast, Kitimat and Bulkley-Nechako regions remain at a high to extreme risk. 
     
     
    Just over 2,000 wildfires have been sparked across B.C. since Apr. 1, charring more than 13,000 square kilometres of timber, and 34 fires of note are still burning, although the wildfire service says one of the largest, just north of Fraser Lake, is not likely to spread more.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Woman Sues Ex For Half Of $6 Million Lottery Win After He Left With Ticket

    Woman Sues Ex For Half Of $6 Million Lottery Win After He Left With Ticket
    An Ontario woman is suing her former common-law partner for allegedly denying that the couple had won $6 million in a provincial lottery before claiming the full prize for himself.

    Woman Sues Ex For Half Of $6 Million Lottery Win After He Left With Ticket

    Feds Earmark Cash To Protect Children From Online Sexual Exploitation

    Feds Earmark Cash To Protect Children From Online Sexual Exploitation
    OTTAWA — The Liberal government has announced millions of dollars in new money for a national centre that works to protect children from online sexual exploitation.

    Feds Earmark Cash To Protect Children From Online Sexual Exploitation

    On Eve Of Trudeau Trip To India, Harjit Sajjan, Amarjit Sohi Dismiss Claims Of Sikh Nationalism

    On Eve Of Trudeau Trip To India, Harjit Sajjan, Amarjit Sohi Dismiss Claims Of Sikh Nationalism
    Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan calls it "ridiculous" and "offensive" that a magazine in India is accusing Canada of being complicit in a rise in Sikh terrorism.

    On Eve Of Trudeau Trip To India, Harjit Sajjan, Amarjit Sohi Dismiss Claims Of Sikh Nationalism

    OPINION: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s ISIS Ambassadors

    OPINION: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s ISIS Ambassadors
    In his year end interview with CTV, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau stated with confidence that, barring some, most ISIS fighters returning to Canada could play a positive role in community outreach programs. 

    OPINION: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s ISIS Ambassadors

    Drowning Of 6 People On Whale Watching Vessel An Accident: B.C. Coroner

    VICTORIA — The drowning deaths of six people during a whale watching trip off British Columbia has been classified as accidental by the province's coroner's service.

    Drowning Of 6 People On Whale Watching Vessel An Accident: B.C. Coroner

    Lions Bay Mayor Karl Buhr Apologizes For Sharing 'Urban Myth' About Teen Vape Death

    Lions Bay Mayor Karl Buhr Apologizes For Sharing 'Urban Myth' About Teen Vape Death
    LIONS BAY, B.C. — A politician in British Columbia is apologizing for spreading a false story about a teenage boy who supposedly died from a drug overdose.

    Lions Bay Mayor Karl Buhr Apologizes For Sharing 'Urban Myth' About Teen Vape Death