Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

Facebook rental scams: Surrey RCMP

Facebook rental scams: Surrey RCMP
Mounties say scammers advertise a property and explain that a deposit is required to secure the property due to high demand. Communication with the renter usually ends once an e-transfer of funds is sent and without the rental property being seen.

Facebook rental scams: Surrey RCMP

Vehicle crashes into Surrey home

Vehicle crashes into Surrey home
 The driver, a 21-year-old man, was arrested for Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle and Flight from Police. He was treated on scene for minor injuries and released to appear in court at a later date.  Speed and dangerous driving were contributing factors in the collision. 

Vehicle crashes into Surrey home

Missing person to locate Robanpreet Singh

Missing person to locate Robanpreet Singh
Robanpreet was last seen on July 9, 2023 at his residence in Surrey. Police and family are concerned for Robanpreet’s health and well-being as it is out of character for Robanpreet to be out of contact for this long. If you see Robanpreet, keep him in sight and call police.

Missing person to locate Robanpreet Singh

B.C. expected to request Ottawa's help with worsening wildfires: minister

B.C. expected to request Ottawa's help with worsening wildfires: minister
Bill Blair tells The Canadian Press the government operations centre has been in discussions with the province for the last several days, and Ottawa is ready to deploy needed resources as the formal request for help is expected Thursday.

B.C. expected to request Ottawa's help with worsening wildfires: minister

BC man gets 9 years for shooting

BC man gets 9 years for shooting
A B-C man has been sentenced to nine years in prison for fatally shooting a woman in Surrey two years ago, and for an unrelated robbery two months earlier. The 26-year-old pleaded guilty to manslaughter for killing a 20-year-old sex worker in May 2021, and to a robbery and a weapons charge for holding up a poker game in Burnaby in March that same year.

BC man gets 9 years for shooting

Decision postponed in Amanda Todd case

Decision postponed in Amanda Todd case
Dutch judges have been considering how to convert the 13-year sentence imposed on Aydin Coban by a B-C court into a term that meshes with the Dutch legal system -- and it's possible he could serve about 4-and-a-half years for his crimes against Amanda Todd.   

Decision postponed in Amanda Todd case