Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

Union and employers receive mediator's terms to end B.C. port strike, source says

Union and employers receive mediator's terms to end B.C. port strike, source says
The delivery of the terms comes after federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan late Tuesday instructed the mediator to send him the terms within 24 hours so he could forward them to the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada and the B.C. Maritime Employers Association.

Union and employers receive mediator's terms to end B.C. port strike, source says

Four years after passage of law on abandoned boats, only two fines have been levied

Four years after passage of law on abandoned boats, only two fines have been levied
The government introduced the Wrecked, Abandoned or Hazardous Vessels Act in 2017. It passed in February 2019 and took effect that July. It made it illegal to abandon a boat in Canada and gives the government the power to go after boat owners when their vessels are wrecked or left behind, including fines up to $1 million.

Four years after passage of law on abandoned boats, only two fines have been levied

High speed chase on Surrey's Hwy 99

High speed chase on Surrey's Hwy 99
Police say it started just after nine last night when the driver of the C-L-S-550 fled the traffic stop, and the vehicle was located a short time later on Highway 99 south of the Serpentine River overpass. The investigation closed the highway for hours, but traffic is now moving again.   

High speed chase on Surrey's Hwy 99

Zelenskyy declares NATO summit victory for Ukraine as Canada, allies pledge more help

Zelenskyy declares NATO summit victory for Ukraine as Canada, allies pledge more help
As Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other NATO leaders wrapped up their two-day summit Wednesday, they bid farewell to a very different version of Volodymyr Zelenskyy than the one they had met the day before. Ukraine's president declared the meetings a success, even though he left without the thing he had most vehemently argued for: a quick invitation for his country to join the alliance.

Zelenskyy declares NATO summit victory for Ukraine as Canada, allies pledge more help

More evacuations, alerts, reflect difficult wildfire season in B.C., Yukon

More evacuations, alerts, reflect difficult wildfire season in B.C., Yukon
At least 12 new evacuation orders or alerts have been issued over the last day in British Columbia as lightning storms and drought conditions add to the challenge of fighting hundreds of wildfires. The BC Wildfire Service says just over two-thirds of the province's roughly 330 fires are raging in those two centres.

More evacuations, alerts, reflect difficult wildfire season in B.C., Yukon

U.S. hiker dies after falling from popular B.C. hiking trail near Whistler

U.S. hiker dies after falling from popular B.C. hiking trail near Whistler
Sea to Sky officers as well as RCMP Air Services, BC Ambulance paramedics and Whistler Search and Rescue responded to a report that a woman had fallen off the Black Tusk chimney portion of Garibaldi Provincial Park on Monday and was seriously injured.  

U.S. hiker dies after falling from popular B.C. hiking trail near Whistler