Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. port strike could end pending approval of terms set by federal mediator

B.C. port strike could end pending approval of terms set by federal mediator
Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan has given a federal mediator 24 hours to send him recommendations to end the dispute between the BC Maritime Employers Association and the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada. O'Regan will forward the recommendations to the two sides and says they'll have a further 24 hours to decide whether to ratify them.  

B.C. port strike could end pending approval of terms set by federal mediator

BOC raises interest rate to 5 percent

BOC raises interest rate to 5 percent
The central bank says it raised the rate because of elevated demand in the economy and strong underlying inflation pressures. It is now suggesting it will take longer -- until the middle of 2025 -- to get inflation back to the two per cent target.   

BOC raises interest rate to 5 percent

3D printed guns on the rise

3D printed guns on the rise
The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says that although a fully functional firearm cannot be printed, conversion kits that complete 3-D guns can be bought in stores or online. It says anyone with a 3-D printer for their kids or for schools should be aware of the risks.

3D printed guns on the rise

As port workers strike prompts disruptions, study points finger at shipping companies

As port workers strike prompts disruptions, study points finger at shipping companies
About 7,400 members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada in Vancouver have been on strike since July 1. They say they're fighting for protections against contracting out work and automation, as well as pushing for higher wages. The strike, now in its second week, is starting to hit business operations in Canada.

As port workers strike prompts disruptions, study points finger at shipping companies

Crews and Province keep an eye on wildfires

Crews and Province keep an eye on wildfires
Wildfire crews and local governments are keeping a close watch on drought-stricken woodlands across B-C, as more lightning is forecast in many areas. The wildfire service says 318 active fires are currently burning -- most of them in the Northwest and Prince George fire districts where thousands of lightning strikes hit during a recent storm.

Crews and Province keep an eye on wildfires

Ottawa could help health care with better international recruiting, Smith says

Ottawa could help health care with better international recruiting, Smith says
Improving health care is not just a matter of money and transfers from Ottawa to the provinces, Alberta Premier Danielle Smith said Tuesday. Health care is one of the main topics at the three-day meeting this week. The premiers also met with health worker representatives.

Ottawa could help health care with better international recruiting, Smith says