Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau says Canada will more than double military presence in Latvia

Trudeau says Canada will more than double military presence in Latvia
The two countries have signed a "road map" outlining the process. The document sets out three phases for the work, which will eventually involve as many as 2,200 persistently deployed Canadian troops plus the ability to add hundreds of additional Armed Forces members as needed. It states that brigade buildup will be completed in 2025, and that Latvia will work to build new infrastructure.

Trudeau says Canada will more than double military presence in Latvia

Two injured in possible road-rage shooting near busy downtown Toronto intersection

Two injured in possible road-rage shooting near busy downtown Toronto intersection
A shooting in downtown Toronto that sent two people to hospital with serious injuries Monday morning could be the result of road rage following street racing, police said as they worked to identify those responsible. Toronto police said they were called to 7 Charles Street West, just one block south of Toronto's busy Yonge and Bloor intersection, just after 6 a.m. for what they described as a drive-by shooting.

Two injured in possible road-rage shooting near busy downtown Toronto intersection

Surrey shooting leaves one dead

Surrey shooting leaves one dead
On Sunday at approximately 5:07 p.m., Surrey RCMP responded to a shooting in an alleyway north of 96 Avenue and 130 Street that has left one man deceased. Police are investigating whether a burnt out vehicle located a short time later in the area of 8200-block of 151A Street is connected to the homicide.  

Surrey shooting leaves one dead

Impasse at strikebound B.C. ports not broken by Saturday's round of negotiations

Impasse at strikebound B.C. ports not broken by Saturday's round of negotiations
Hundreds of supporters showed up to a rally in Vancouver backing striking B-C port workers. Speakers from as far away as Australia and New Zealand offered support for the thousands of workers who have been off the job since Canada Day.

Impasse at strikebound B.C. ports not broken by Saturday's round of negotiations

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau holds brief meeting with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau holds brief meeting with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau discussed carbon emissions and the strike by B.C. port workers during a brief meeting Friday with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith. Both leaders were in town for the first day of the Calgary Stampede, a 10-day celebration of western culture that features a parade, rodeo events, pancake breakfasts and concerts. 

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau holds brief meeting with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith

B.C. RCMP announce corruption, drug trafficking charges against former constable

B.C. RCMP announce corruption, drug trafficking charges against former constable
The B.C. RCMP says a former probationary constable at the force's Surrey detachment has been charged with multiple offences after a months-long corruption investigation. Mounties say the ex-constable, Const. Dawwd (Daoud) Soukary, faces 13 charges related to drug trafficking, breach of trust, theft, cannabis distribution and conspiracy to commit robbery.

B.C. RCMP announce corruption, drug trafficking charges against former constable