Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

U.S. trade envoy presses Canada on digital services tax, home shopping obligations

U.S. trade envoy presses Canada on digital services tax, home shopping obligations
Canada, the United States and Mexico wrapped up a two-day status report on their shared continental trade agreement Friday as the deal that replaced NAFTA passed its three-year anniversary. There are three more years to go before a required review in 2026 that has the potential to scuttle the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement, but International Trade Minister Mary Ng doesn't sound worried. 

U.S. trade envoy presses Canada on digital services tax, home shopping obligations

B.C. mass-stabbing killer apologizes to victims, cites 'enormous' drug use

B.C. mass-stabbing killer apologizes to victims, cites 'enormous' drug use
Yannick Bandaogo read his statement in French in a quiet, sometimes shaking voice, and said his addiction to crystal meth played a role in altering his mental health and behaviour. Bandaogo, 30, pleaded guilty this year to second-degree murder, several charges of attempted murder and one count of aggravated assault over the attack.

B.C. mass-stabbing killer apologizes to victims, cites 'enormous' drug use

Violent robbery at a nightclub: VPD

Violent robbery at a nightclub: VPD
The heist happened April 9th when two suspects entered the club after hours, threatened staff with a gun and knife, zap-strapped and forcibly confined six people -- and left one victim with a life-altering injury. The suspects then escaped with 25-thousand dollars in cash.

Violent robbery at a nightclub: VPD

Criminal charges likely after police dog bites Indo-Canadian off-duty cop

Criminal charges likely after police dog bites Indo-Canadian off-duty cop
Manjinder Singh Kaila, 55, was bitten by a police dog on May 29, 2021, next to his Surrey home, as the cops pursued a suspect, despite the victim yelling “it wasn’t me". The statement of claim named constables Sarbjeet Singh and Paul Baker, who were working with RCMP dog service at that time.

Criminal charges likely after police dog bites Indo-Canadian off-duty cop

Jobless rate went up in June

Jobless rate went up in June
R-B-C assistant chief economist Nathan Janzen says the reason the unemployment rate can rise alongside historically strong employment growth is that population growth continues to set new records, including an increase of 84-thousand people in June.

Jobless rate went up in June

Lack of staff forces Saanich hospital to close ER overnight for two months

Lack of staff forces Saanich hospital to close ER overnight for two months
Island Health says a lack of staff has forced it to begin overnight closures of the emergency room at a small Victoria-area hospital. A statement from the health authority says closure of the Saanich Peninsula Hospital emergency department begins at 10 p.m. tonight and will end at 7 a.m. Saturday.

Lack of staff forces Saanich hospital to close ER overnight for two months