Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Beijing blasts Rae over 'genocide' allegations

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Nov, 2020 07:33 PM
  • Beijing blasts Rae over 'genocide' allegations

The Chinese government is firing back at Canada's ambassador to the United Nations for calling on the UN to investigate whether China's persecution of ethnic Muslim Uighurs in its Xinjiang province is a genocide.

During a news conference in Beijing Monday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian described Bob Rae's comments as "ridiculous," adding that Canada itself better fits the description of having perpetrated a genocide.

Rae told the CBC on Sunday that he has asked the UN Human Rights Council to investigate China's treatment of the country's Uighurs in Xinjiang.

 

Last month a Canadian parliamentary subcommittee concluded in a report that China's treatment of the Uighurs is a genocide. China rejected that report as baseless.

China has been accused of using forced birth control to limit Uighur births, and detention camps to indoctrinate the mostly-Muslim minority into mainstream Chinese society. Beijing has denied any wrongdoing, saying it is running a voluntary employment and language-training program.

Zhao on Monday used a number of select statistics that suggest China's Uighur population is growing at a faster rate than Canada's population to mock Rae's suggestions that the Uighurs are being persecuted.

"I would like to ask this ambassador, if his logic is plausible in finding out who best fits the label of genocide, it seems that it is not the Uighurs who are persecuted, but rather the people of Canada, am I right?" Zhao said.

However, Zhao's statistics appear to have been incomplete or inaccurate and did not address a report by The Associated Press in June that birthrates have been dramatically cut in Uighur-dominated areas of Xinjiang.

Rae told the CBC on Sunday that "there's no question that there's aspects of what the Chinese are doing that fits into the definition of genocide in the genocide convention."

Yet even as he levelled the allegation, he said an investigation needs to be conducted to gather the required evidence.

In response, Zhao questioned how Rae "reached his conclusion without any evidence?"

Relations between Canada and China are at an all-time low not only because of Beijing's treatment of its Uighurs, but also due to its continued detention of two Canadian citizens in retaliation for the arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou.

Canada has also joined Western allies in condemning Beijing's recent actions in Hong Kong, where the Communist regime has been accused of violating international agreements by cracking down on democracy in the former British colony.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP on the hunt for a South Asian suspect who assaulted a woman in the summer

Surrey RCMP on the hunt for a South Asian suspect who assaulted a woman in the summer
The suspect is described as a South Asian male, 25-years-old, with a round face, no facial hair, and wearing black jeans, a black wind breaker, navy blue socks and a black helmet.

Surrey RCMP on the hunt for a South Asian suspect who assaulted a woman in the summer

B.C. Greens fall short of full candidate slate

B.C. Greens fall short of full candidate slate
Elections BC says it will post finalized lists for candidates in all 87 electoral districts for the Oct. 24 vote as soon as possible.

B.C. Greens fall short of full candidate slate

LNG pipeline hearing resumes at B.C. Supreme Court

LNG pipeline hearing resumes at B.C. Supreme Court
Lawyers for the Office of the Wet'suwet'en are seeking an order quashing the decision to extend the certificate for Coastal GasLink's 670-kilometre pipeline project.

LNG pipeline hearing resumes at B.C. Supreme Court

Nunavut announces eighth possible case at mine

Nunavut announces eighth possible case at mine
On Monday, Dr. Michael Patterson announced seven presumptive positive cases at the Hope Bay mine, about 125 kilometers southwest of Cambridge Bay.

Nunavut announces eighth possible case at mine

Feds ease COVID-19 border restrictions

Feds ease COVID-19 border restrictions
Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino announced Friday that more family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents will now be eligible to enter the country.

Feds ease COVID-19 border restrictions

COVID-19 surge divides local, provincial leaders

COVID-19 surge divides local, provincial leaders
Ottawa's medical officer of health warned the entire health-care system was on the verge of collapse if transmission was not contained, suggesting the escalating spike jeopardized the ability of schools to remain open.

COVID-19 surge divides local, provincial leaders