Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Beijing blasts Rae over 'genocide' allegations

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Nov, 2020 07:33 PM
  • Beijing blasts Rae over 'genocide' allegations

The Chinese government is firing back at Canada's ambassador to the United Nations for calling on the UN to investigate whether China's persecution of ethnic Muslim Uighurs in its Xinjiang province is a genocide.

During a news conference in Beijing Monday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian described Bob Rae's comments as "ridiculous," adding that Canada itself better fits the description of having perpetrated a genocide.

Rae told the CBC on Sunday that he has asked the UN Human Rights Council to investigate China's treatment of the country's Uighurs in Xinjiang.

 

Last month a Canadian parliamentary subcommittee concluded in a report that China's treatment of the Uighurs is a genocide. China rejected that report as baseless.

China has been accused of using forced birth control to limit Uighur births, and detention camps to indoctrinate the mostly-Muslim minority into mainstream Chinese society. Beijing has denied any wrongdoing, saying it is running a voluntary employment and language-training program.

Zhao on Monday used a number of select statistics that suggest China's Uighur population is growing at a faster rate than Canada's population to mock Rae's suggestions that the Uighurs are being persecuted.

"I would like to ask this ambassador, if his logic is plausible in finding out who best fits the label of genocide, it seems that it is not the Uighurs who are persecuted, but rather the people of Canada, am I right?" Zhao said.

However, Zhao's statistics appear to have been incomplete or inaccurate and did not address a report by The Associated Press in June that birthrates have been dramatically cut in Uighur-dominated areas of Xinjiang.

Rae told the CBC on Sunday that "there's no question that there's aspects of what the Chinese are doing that fits into the definition of genocide in the genocide convention."

Yet even as he levelled the allegation, he said an investigation needs to be conducted to gather the required evidence.

In response, Zhao questioned how Rae "reached his conclusion without any evidence?"

Relations between Canada and China are at an all-time low not only because of Beijing's treatment of its Uighurs, but also due to its continued detention of two Canadian citizens in retaliation for the arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou.

Canada has also joined Western allies in condemning Beijing's recent actions in Hong Kong, where the Communist regime has been accused of violating international agreements by cracking down on democracy in the former British colony.

MORE National ARTICLES

Second hospital worker fired after woman's death

Second hospital worker fired after woman's death
The regional health authority that represents the Joliette hospital confirmed today that a patient attendant who was at Joyce Echaquan's bedside has been fired.

Second hospital worker fired after woman's death

No word on when Desmond inquiry will resume

No word on when Desmond inquiry will resume
Provincial Justice Minister Mark Furey confirmed Thursday that work is underway to either expand the existing hearing room or find a larger venue to ensure the inquiry can comply with physical distancing protocols.

No word on when Desmond inquiry will resume

Government to propose hybrid Senate sittings

Government to propose hybrid Senate sittings
Frustration over the Senate's failure to find a way to resume full operations in the midst of the pandemic prompted some senators Wednesday to block Gold's attempt to speed Bill C-4 through the chamber.

Government to propose hybrid Senate sittings

Two people in B.C. accused in fake refugee claims

Two people in B.C. accused in fake refugee claims
The agency alleges the offences involved people originating from Central Europe and took place between 2002 and 2014.

Two people in B.C. accused in fake refugee claims

Two shot, one dead in targeted shooting in B.C.

Two shot, one dead in targeted shooting in B.C.
Sgt. Frank Jang of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says they're releasing the name of the man who died, 43-year-old Ali Reza Serri, in an appeal to the public for any information that may help their investigation.

Two shot, one dead in targeted shooting in B.C.

Student grants to increase to $4,000, says NDP

Student grants to increase to $4,000, says NDP
New Democrat Leader John Horgan says a re-elected NDP will also add 2,000 more technology spaces in post-secondary programs across B.C.

Student grants to increase to $4,000, says NDP