Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Beijing blasts Rae over 'genocide' allegations

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Nov, 2020 07:33 PM
  • Beijing blasts Rae over 'genocide' allegations

The Chinese government is firing back at Canada's ambassador to the United Nations for calling on the UN to investigate whether China's persecution of ethnic Muslim Uighurs in its Xinjiang province is a genocide.

During a news conference in Beijing Monday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian described Bob Rae's comments as "ridiculous," adding that Canada itself better fits the description of having perpetrated a genocide.

Rae told the CBC on Sunday that he has asked the UN Human Rights Council to investigate China's treatment of the country's Uighurs in Xinjiang.

 

Last month a Canadian parliamentary subcommittee concluded in a report that China's treatment of the Uighurs is a genocide. China rejected that report as baseless.

China has been accused of using forced birth control to limit Uighur births, and detention camps to indoctrinate the mostly-Muslim minority into mainstream Chinese society. Beijing has denied any wrongdoing, saying it is running a voluntary employment and language-training program.

Zhao on Monday used a number of select statistics that suggest China's Uighur population is growing at a faster rate than Canada's population to mock Rae's suggestions that the Uighurs are being persecuted.

"I would like to ask this ambassador, if his logic is plausible in finding out who best fits the label of genocide, it seems that it is not the Uighurs who are persecuted, but rather the people of Canada, am I right?" Zhao said.

However, Zhao's statistics appear to have been incomplete or inaccurate and did not address a report by The Associated Press in June that birthrates have been dramatically cut in Uighur-dominated areas of Xinjiang.

Rae told the CBC on Sunday that "there's no question that there's aspects of what the Chinese are doing that fits into the definition of genocide in the genocide convention."

Yet even as he levelled the allegation, he said an investigation needs to be conducted to gather the required evidence.

In response, Zhao questioned how Rae "reached his conclusion without any evidence?"

Relations between Canada and China are at an all-time low not only because of Beijing's treatment of its Uighurs, but also due to its continued detention of two Canadian citizens in retaliation for the arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou.

Canada has also joined Western allies in condemning Beijing's recent actions in Hong Kong, where the Communist regime has been accused of violating international agreements by cracking down on democracy in the former British colony.

MORE National ARTICLES

Coquitlam man faces additional sex assault charges

Coquitlam man faces additional sex assault charges
They say Raymond Howard Gaglardi has been charged with six counts of sexual assault and one count of sexual exploitation in addition to six previous charges laid in July.

Coquitlam man faces additional sex assault charges

B.C. urban mayors release calls to action

B.C. urban mayors release calls to action
Members of the B.C. Urban Mayors' Caucus say municipalities are bearing the brunt of the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic and financial challenges are putting the long-term sustainability of some critical services at risk.

B.C. urban mayors release calls to action

Horgan pledges $1.4 billion long-term care plan

Horgan pledges $1.4 billion long-term care plan
He promised a $1.4-billion, 10-year plan Wednesday to revamp elder care after the COVID-19 pandemic showed vulnerabilities in the system for people living in care facilities.

Horgan pledges $1.4 billion long-term care plan

2020 Writers' Trust award finalists revealed

2020 Writers' Trust award finalists revealed
The finalists are Lorna Crozier, Steven Heighton, Jessica J. Lee, Tessa McWatt and David A. Neel.

2020 Writers' Trust award finalists revealed

Study compares LTC deaths in B.C. to Ontario

Study compares LTC deaths in B.C. to Ontario
As of Sept. 10, Ontario reported 1,817 resident deaths from COVID-19, compared to 156 deaths in B.C. The number of cases among LTC residents in Ontario totaled nearly 6,000 compared to 466 in B.C.

Study compares LTC deaths in B.C. to Ontario

Blanchet, O'Toole urge caution on COVID-19

Blanchet, O'Toole urge caution on COVID-19
The Bloc Québécois leader made the comments as he and Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole returned to Parliament Hill after being diagnosed with COVID-19 earlier this month.

Blanchet, O'Toole urge caution on COVID-19