Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jul, 2024 12:59 PM
  • Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell Media is seeking an injunction to block Warner Bros. Discovery content from being broadcast after Rogers Communications Inc. takes over as the Canadian rightsholder in January.

In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

The company also alleged in the court documents that Rogers "induced" Warner Bros. to breach its non-competition obligations to Bell Media, which has delivered certain Discovery programming in Canada for 30 years.

Last month, Rogers said it had signed multi-year deals with Warner Bros. Discovery, along with NBCUniversal, for their popular lifestyle and entertainment brands in Canada starting Jan. 1.

That comprises television channels such as Discovery Channel Canada, Discovery Velocity, Discovery Science and Animal Planet, to which Bell previously owned the Canadian programming rights. It also includes others licensed to Corus Entertainment Inc. such as HGTV and The Food Network.

In a statement, Rogers spokeswoman Sarah Schmidt said Bell’s claims "are without merit and we will fight to make sure Canadians can continue watching the programs they know and love."

"We look forward to bringing this content to Canadians across the country and to our long-term partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery," she said.

"Bell is asking the court to block Canadians from seeing these Discovery channels for two years — stopping anyone in Canada from distributing them and stopping anyone in Canada from watching them."

In its application, Bell asked the court for an injunction to prevent Warner Bros. Discovery and its affiliates "from directly or indirectly supplying Discovery-related programming" to other competitors in Canada.

It also requested an order for the respondents, which include both Rogers and Warner Bros., to pay damages to Bell for breach of contract, inducing breach of contract, interference with economic relations and conspiracy.

The submission said Bell Media has invested "hundreds of millions of dollars in developing, promoting, and growing the Discovery brands in the Canadian market over the past 30 years."

It said its contracts with Warner Bros. contain a clause that ensures Bell is entitled "to at least a two-year window to adjust" if Warner Bros. ever declines to renew the licensing agreements for Discovery-related programming.

Bell said that prevents Warner Bros. and its affiliates from operating or supplying programming to a competitor, including Rogers, during the two-year window.

"Our long-standing partnership, content, and brand arrangements for the Discovery Canada channels include protections against the launch of competing services," said Bell Media spokeswoman Mary Costa in an email.

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled to take place Sept. 13.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. police say remains of Madison Scott, last seen in 2011, have been found

B.C. police say remains of Madison Scott, last seen in 2011, have been found
Police have said she was 20 years old when she was last seen early in the morning of May 28, 2011. She had been at a party celebrating a friend's birthday at Hogsback Lake outside Vanderhoof, in central B.C. 

B.C. police say remains of Madison Scott, last seen in 2011, have been found

Province's minimum wage going up on June 1

Province's minimum wage going up on June 1
B-C's minimum wage will jump by one-dollar-and-10-cents per hour before the end of this week. The boost to the general minimum wage will increase it to 16-dollars-and-75-cents per hour on June 1st -- up from the current rate of 15-dollars-and-65-cents.

Province's minimum wage going up on June 1

Man pleads guilty to murder, assault in B.C. library stabbing spree

Man pleads guilty to murder, assault in B.C. library stabbing spree
Yannick Bandaogo pleaded guilty in a New Westminster, B.C., court to second-degree murder, several charges of attempted murder and one count of aggravated assault. Bandaogo was arrested shortly after the attack in March 2021 near the library where a woman was killed and six other people were hurt. 

Man pleads guilty to murder, assault in B.C. library stabbing spree

VPD searches for missing man Suleiman Khawar

VPD searches for missing man Suleiman Khawar
Suleiman is South Asian, 6 feet tall, and has a slim build. He has short black hair and a black beard with a mustache. He was last seen wearing a blue button-down shirt over a white t-shirt, black jeans and black shoes with white soles.

VPD searches for missing man Suleiman Khawar

Early snowmelt in Western mountains means drier summers, more wildfire risk: study

Early snowmelt in Western mountains means drier summers, more wildfire risk: study
Snowmelt serves as the primary water resource in western mountain regions, the study says. The ranges store snow throughout the winter, which then melts during spring and summer months when demand for water peaks.

Early snowmelt in Western mountains means drier summers, more wildfire risk: study

Man and woman charged in shooting death of Abbotsford man last year

Man and woman charged in shooting death of Abbotsford man last year
A statement from police says a 22-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman were arrested Friday and charged in the death of 41-year-old Chad Colivas. The man has been charged with second degree murder, while the woman has been charged with manslaughter in the March 2022 shooting death.

Man and woman charged in shooting death of Abbotsford man last year