Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jul, 2024 12:59 PM
  • Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell Media is seeking an injunction to block Warner Bros. Discovery content from being broadcast after Rogers Communications Inc. takes over as the Canadian rightsholder in January.

In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

The company also alleged in the court documents that Rogers "induced" Warner Bros. to breach its non-competition obligations to Bell Media, which has delivered certain Discovery programming in Canada for 30 years.

Last month, Rogers said it had signed multi-year deals with Warner Bros. Discovery, along with NBCUniversal, for their popular lifestyle and entertainment brands in Canada starting Jan. 1.

That comprises television channels such as Discovery Channel Canada, Discovery Velocity, Discovery Science and Animal Planet, to which Bell previously owned the Canadian programming rights. It also includes others licensed to Corus Entertainment Inc. such as HGTV and The Food Network.

In a statement, Rogers spokeswoman Sarah Schmidt said Bell’s claims "are without merit and we will fight to make sure Canadians can continue watching the programs they know and love."

"We look forward to bringing this content to Canadians across the country and to our long-term partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery," she said.

"Bell is asking the court to block Canadians from seeing these Discovery channels for two years — stopping anyone in Canada from distributing them and stopping anyone in Canada from watching them."

In its application, Bell asked the court for an injunction to prevent Warner Bros. Discovery and its affiliates "from directly or indirectly supplying Discovery-related programming" to other competitors in Canada.

It also requested an order for the respondents, which include both Rogers and Warner Bros., to pay damages to Bell for breach of contract, inducing breach of contract, interference with economic relations and conspiracy.

The submission said Bell Media has invested "hundreds of millions of dollars in developing, promoting, and growing the Discovery brands in the Canadian market over the past 30 years."

It said its contracts with Warner Bros. contain a clause that ensures Bell is entitled "to at least a two-year window to adjust" if Warner Bros. ever declines to renew the licensing agreements for Discovery-related programming.

Bell said that prevents Warner Bros. and its affiliates from operating or supplying programming to a competitor, including Rogers, during the two-year window.

"Our long-standing partnership, content, and brand arrangements for the Discovery Canada channels include protections against the launch of competing services," said Bell Media spokeswoman Mary Costa in an email.

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled to take place Sept. 13.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver police investigating fatal stabbing in city's west end

Vancouver police investigating fatal stabbing in city's west end
Police in Vancouver are investigating a fatal stabbing in a busy neighbourhood Saturday night. They say officers responded to reports that a man had been stabbed near the intersection of Davie and Bute streets in the city's west end just before 10 p.m.

Vancouver police investigating fatal stabbing in city's west end

Shooting outside a South Vancouver banquet hall leaves 28 year old man dead

Shooting outside a South Vancouver banquet hall leaves 28 year old man dead
Police say multiple people called to report the shooting outside a south Vancouver banquet hall near Fraser Street and Southeast Marine Drive at 1:30 a.m. Sunday. They say officers performed CPR on the man until paramedics arrived, but he died from his injuries.

Shooting outside a South Vancouver banquet hall leaves 28 year old man dead

Affordable homes open in Coquitlam

Affordable homes open in Coquitlam
A dozen new affordable and accessible rental homes have opened in Coquitlam. The Housing Ministry says the 12 units are part of a new 25-storey, 189-unit apartment tower.  

Affordable homes open in Coquitlam

B.C. extends reach of property tax aimed at turning empty houses into rental homes

B.C. extends reach of property tax aimed at turning empty houses into rental homes
A statement from the Ministry of Finance says the Speculation and Vacancy Tax now includes the municipalities of North Cowichan, Duncan, Ladysmith, Lake Cowichan, Lions Bay and Squamish. Starting early next year, homeowners in those areas will join owners in 40 other B.C. cities, districts and towns who are required to declare how their property was used in 2023.  

B.C. extends reach of property tax aimed at turning empty houses into rental homes

Florida man pleads not guilty after Canada-U.S. human smuggling tragedy in Manitoba

Florida man pleads not guilty after Canada-U.S. human smuggling tragedy in Manitoba
Shand, from Deltona, Fla., was arrested in January 2022 in a remote area of northern Minnesota, where U.S. Border Patrol officers encountered him with two Indian nationals in a rented passenger van.   

Florida man pleads not guilty after Canada-U.S. human smuggling tragedy in Manitoba

One dead after collision on Highway 17, Highway 17 & Old Yale Road shut down

One dead after collision on Highway 17, Highway 17 & Old Yale Road shut down
Despite the efforts of first responders, one person has succumbed to their injuries and two people have been transported to hospital. Highway 17 and Old Yale Road will be closed in all directions until further notice.  

One dead after collision on Highway 17, Highway 17 & Old Yale Road shut down