Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:44 AM
  • Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

OTTAWA - Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet says the next session of Parliament should happen in person with any members who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 staying home.

Questions remain about what the return to Parliament will look like for Canada's 338 representatives after the recent federal election saw the Liberals re-elected to a minority government.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he will name his cabinet next month and Parliament will resume sometime in the fall.

The House of Commons and committees had been functioning with some MPs working from Ottawa, but many others appearing virtually, including to vote, before the election was called.

Blanchet says he wants to see Parliament resume with MPs having to be there in person because now vaccines against the novel coronavirus are more widely available.

His party, along with the New Democrats and Liberals, made it a rule that candidates had to be fully vaccinated in order to hit the doorsteps, but the Conservatives did not.

"They get fully vaccinated or they stay home," Blanchet said on Wednesday.

"Parliament should not come back under any kind of hybrid formation … now we know that we can go on with the way this building is supposed to work, and we should not refrain from doing so because a few persons don't believe that the vaccine works. This belongs to another century."

The Conservatives saw 119 incumbent MPs and new candidates elected.

Leader Erin O'Toole refused to say on the campaign trail whether he knew how many of those running for the Tories had been fully vaccinated, saying he told campaign teams that those who are not immunized against COVID-19 should take daily rapid tests.

O'Toole is himself vaccinated and has been encouraging others to get their shot. The Conservative leader says he also respects the personal health choices of Canadians.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept 29, 2021.

MORE National ARTICLES

Flight ban between Canada and India extended for another 30 days.

Flight ban between Canada and India extended for another 30 days.
Canada has extended the ban on incoming passenger flights from India for another month til July 21, 2021. The federal government is not renewing the travel ban for Pakistan. 

Flight ban between Canada and India extended for another 30 days.

Canada to receive 5.2 million vaccine doses

Canada to receive 5.2 million vaccine doses
Canada is set to receive more than five million doses of COVID-19 vaccine over the coming week. Another 2.8 million will come from Moderna, for a total of 5.2 million shots expected this week.

Canada to receive 5.2 million vaccine doses

Parliament resumes for what could be final stretch

Parliament resumes for what could be final stretch
Parliamentarians are entering what could be their final stretch in the House of Commons before summer break as the Liberal government sharpens its focus on two key pieces of legislation.

Parliament resumes for what could be final stretch

Hotel quarantine starts to end in two weeks

Hotel quarantine starts to end in two weeks
Fully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents returning to Canada will soon be able to avoid a mandatory quarantine. The first stage in loosening the border restrictions that have been in place for 15 months will begin at 11:59 p.m. eastern time on July 5.

Hotel quarantine starts to end in two weeks

Singh blasts Liberal 'hypocrisy' on reconciliation

Singh blasts Liberal 'hypocrisy' on reconciliation
Singh says the Liberals are hoping to turn the page and celebrate their achievements on reconciliation with First Peoples today, on National Indigenous Peoples Day, but he believes they should instead be taken to task on their record.

Singh blasts Liberal 'hypocrisy' on reconciliation

Reports of shots fired near an elementary school in Burnaby

Reports of shots fired near an elementary school in Burnaby
A shooting took palce near an elementary school in Burnaby on Friday but the Burnaby RCMP say they haven't found any victims. Police were on scene at Armstrong Avenue near Cariboo Drive around 9 p.m., close to Armstrong Elementary School. 

Reports of shots fired near an elementary school in Burnaby