Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:44 AM
  • Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

OTTAWA - Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet says the next session of Parliament should happen in person with any members who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 staying home.

Questions remain about what the return to Parliament will look like for Canada's 338 representatives after the recent federal election saw the Liberals re-elected to a minority government.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he will name his cabinet next month and Parliament will resume sometime in the fall.

The House of Commons and committees had been functioning with some MPs working from Ottawa, but many others appearing virtually, including to vote, before the election was called.

Blanchet says he wants to see Parliament resume with MPs having to be there in person because now vaccines against the novel coronavirus are more widely available.

His party, along with the New Democrats and Liberals, made it a rule that candidates had to be fully vaccinated in order to hit the doorsteps, but the Conservatives did not.

"They get fully vaccinated or they stay home," Blanchet said on Wednesday.

"Parliament should not come back under any kind of hybrid formation … now we know that we can go on with the way this building is supposed to work, and we should not refrain from doing so because a few persons don't believe that the vaccine works. This belongs to another century."

The Conservatives saw 119 incumbent MPs and new candidates elected.

Leader Erin O'Toole refused to say on the campaign trail whether he knew how many of those running for the Tories had been fully vaccinated, saying he told campaign teams that those who are not immunized against COVID-19 should take daily rapid tests.

O'Toole is himself vaccinated and has been encouraging others to get their shot. The Conservative leader says he also respects the personal health choices of Canadians.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept 29, 2021.

MORE National ARTICLES

148 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

148 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are currently 1,975 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. 195 individuals are currently hospitalized, 47 of whom are in intensive care. It's the first time we've had fewer than 2000 active cases since Oct. 22. Fewest in ICU since Nov. 12.

148 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Oil from shipwrecked vessel to be removed

Oil from shipwrecked vessel to be removed
Fisheries Minister Bernadette Jordan says recent results of a technical assessment determined that immediate action is necessary to remove fuel from the vessel in order to protect Nootka Sound.

Oil from shipwrecked vessel to be removed

Illicit pot is risky: B.C. public safety minister

Illicit pot is risky: B.C. public safety minister
Mike Farnworth, who is also the solicitor general, says Health Canada requires licensed cultivators to test cannabis to make sure it's fit for consumption, but little is known about the quality of illicit cannabis products and production.

Illicit pot is risky: B.C. public safety minister

Man accused in killing of London, Ont., family told cab driver to call police

Man accused in killing of London, Ont., family told cab driver to call police
Hasan Savehilaghi, president of Yellow London Taxi, said one the company's drivers was having a cigarette and a coffee next to his car in an empty strip mall parking lot on Sunday night when a black pickup truck came screeching to a halt directly behind his vehicle.

Man accused in killing of London, Ont., family told cab driver to call police

COVID-19 shot in Manitoba could be worth $100K

COVID-19 shot in Manitoba could be worth $100K
Manitobans who get a COVID-19 vaccine could also get a six-figure cash injection in their wallets. The provincial government is offering cash prizes of $100,000 and $25,000 scholarships in an effort to persuade more people to geta shot.

COVID-19 shot in Manitoba could be worth $100K

Another 13 arrests at B.C. anti-logging blockades

Another 13 arrests at B.C. anti-logging blockades
The RCMP began enforcing a British Columbia court injunction ordering the removal of blockades and protesters at several sites on May 17. Of those arrested Monday at an encampment area near Port Renfrew, 11 have been charged with breaching the injunction, and two for obstruction.

Another 13 arrests at B.C. anti-logging blockades