Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:44 AM
  • Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

OTTAWA - Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet says the next session of Parliament should happen in person with any members who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 staying home.

Questions remain about what the return to Parliament will look like for Canada's 338 representatives after the recent federal election saw the Liberals re-elected to a minority government.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he will name his cabinet next month and Parliament will resume sometime in the fall.

The House of Commons and committees had been functioning with some MPs working from Ottawa, but many others appearing virtually, including to vote, before the election was called.

Blanchet says he wants to see Parliament resume with MPs having to be there in person because now vaccines against the novel coronavirus are more widely available.

His party, along with the New Democrats and Liberals, made it a rule that candidates had to be fully vaccinated in order to hit the doorsteps, but the Conservatives did not.

"They get fully vaccinated or they stay home," Blanchet said on Wednesday.

"Parliament should not come back under any kind of hybrid formation … now we know that we can go on with the way this building is supposed to work, and we should not refrain from doing so because a few persons don't believe that the vaccine works. This belongs to another century."

The Conservatives saw 119 incumbent MPs and new candidates elected.

Leader Erin O'Toole refused to say on the campaign trail whether he knew how many of those running for the Tories had been fully vaccinated, saying he told campaign teams that those who are not immunized against COVID-19 should take daily rapid tests.

O'Toole is himself vaccinated and has been encouraging others to get their shot. The Conservative leader says he also respects the personal health choices of Canadians.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept 29, 2021.

MORE National ARTICLES

Virtual parade planned for Calgary Stampede

Virtual parade planned for Calgary Stampede
Stampede officials announced Wednesday that the parade, set for July 9, will be virtual and will still include floats, marching bands and riders travelling through the Stampede grounds to kick off of the 10-day world-renowned rodeo and fair.    

Virtual parade planned for Calgary Stampede

Trudeau to enter G7 summit like no other

Trudeau to enter G7 summit like no other
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will on Friday begin to meet with counterparts from the world’s most powerful democracies at the G7 Leaders' Summit to discuss overcoming COVID-19 and its economic reverberations.

Trudeau to enter G7 summit like no other

Canada, Alberta pursue $1.3B hydrogen plant

Canada, Alberta pursue $1.3B hydrogen plant
The federal and Alberta governments are signing an agreement that could lead to a plant to produce hydrogen built near Edmonton. The governments say they're working with Air Products Canada to build the $1.3-billon plant, which would produce the clean-burning fuel from natural gas.

Canada, Alberta pursue $1.3B hydrogen plant

Prosecutors need time for terror charge: experts

Prosecutors need time for terror charge: experts
Legal experts say it's probably too early for terror charges to be laid because investigators need sufficient evidence of motive. But the experts also expressed concern that prosecutors in Canada usually reserve terror charges for people with Islamist extremist views, which they say sends the message the law isn't being applied equally.

Prosecutors need time for terror charge: experts

Three vehicle collision lands 2 in hospital: Maple Ridge RCMP

Three vehicle collision lands 2 in hospital: Maple Ridge RCMP
Ridge Meadows RCMP frontline officers responded overnight to a collision involving 3 vehicles. 

Three vehicle collision lands 2 in hospital: Maple Ridge RCMP

Vancouver Police warns public about an indecent act at a Downtown school

Vancouver Police warns public about an indecent act at a Downtown school
An unknown man approached an 8 year-old female student on the playground at Lord Roberts Elementary School near Bidwell and Pendrell streets on June 7 between 2 and 2:30 p.m. and exposed his genitals to her. The suspect left the area before police arrived.

Vancouver Police warns public about an indecent act at a Downtown school