Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:44 AM
  • Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

OTTAWA - Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet says the next session of Parliament should happen in person with any members who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 staying home.

Questions remain about what the return to Parliament will look like for Canada's 338 representatives after the recent federal election saw the Liberals re-elected to a minority government.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he will name his cabinet next month and Parliament will resume sometime in the fall.

The House of Commons and committees had been functioning with some MPs working from Ottawa, but many others appearing virtually, including to vote, before the election was called.

Blanchet says he wants to see Parliament resume with MPs having to be there in person because now vaccines against the novel coronavirus are more widely available.

His party, along with the New Democrats and Liberals, made it a rule that candidates had to be fully vaccinated in order to hit the doorsteps, but the Conservatives did not.

"They get fully vaccinated or they stay home," Blanchet said on Wednesday.

"Parliament should not come back under any kind of hybrid formation … now we know that we can go on with the way this building is supposed to work, and we should not refrain from doing so because a few persons don't believe that the vaccine works. This belongs to another century."

The Conservatives saw 119 incumbent MPs and new candidates elected.

Leader Erin O'Toole refused to say on the campaign trail whether he knew how many of those running for the Tories had been fully vaccinated, saying he told campaign teams that those who are not immunized against COVID-19 should take daily rapid tests.

O'Toole is himself vaccinated and has been encouraging others to get their shot. The Conservative leader says he also respects the personal health choices of Canadians.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept 29, 2021.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada seeking U.S. doses of Moderna

Canada seeking U.S. doses of Moderna
All 5.7 million doses delivered to Canada from Moderna so far have come from their production lines in Europe. but the company's shipments to Canada have been spotty and small since April 1.

Canada seeking U.S. doses of Moderna

Ottawa asks if Canada needs another pipeline

Ottawa asks if Canada needs another pipeline
Federal officials were asking themselves how many pipelines does Canada really need in the days after U.S. President Joe Biden cancelled Keystone XL.

Ottawa asks if Canada needs another pipeline

Trudeau calls on Catholic Church to 'step up'

Trudeau calls on Catholic Church to 'step up'
Trudeau says as a Catholic he is deeply disappointed by the position that the church has taken now and over the past couple years. He notes that he personally asked the Pope in 2017 to consider an apology for the institution's part in the government-sponsored, church-run schools for Indigenous children that operated for more than 120 years.

Trudeau calls on Catholic Church to 'step up'

UN experts call for investigation into burial site

UN experts call for investigation into burial site
The United Nations' human-rights special rapporteurs are calling on Canada and the Catholic Church to conduct prompt and thorough investigations into the finding of an unmarked burial site believed to contain the remains of 215 Indigenous children at a British Columbia residential school.

UN experts call for investigation into burial site

Canada to get two million Pfizer doses per week

Canada to get two million Pfizer doses per week
Trudeau says that accounts for nine million Pfizer doses in July and another 9.1 million expected in August. He adds that Canada has also negotiated an option for three million more Pfizer doses to be delivered in September.

Canada to get two million Pfizer doses per week

A suspected impaired driver is in custody after crashing into a school bus.

A suspected impaired driver is in custody after crashing into a school bus.
The suspect driver is believed to have been impaired by drugs. The Burnaby RCMP will be recommending Motor Vehicle Act charges as well as criminal, impaired driving, drug trafficking and weapon possession charges.    

A suspected impaired driver is in custody after crashing into a school bus.