Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bodies found inside burning home near Halifax

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2015 10:30 AM

    HALIFAX — The RCMP says a man has been arrested in connection with a fatal house fire in Halifax Wednesday in which at least two people died.

    Police and firefighters were still at the scene of the blaze early Thursday, waiting to enter the structure to determine if more victims were inside.

    RCMP Cpl. Karine Bernier earlier said a third person was unaccounted for.

    She said a man was taken into custody at about 12:45 a.m. after he rammed two police vehicles with his car in the Milford area, about a half-hour drive from the scene.

    Bernier said no officers were injured in the incident, which she said was linked to the fire. Police had not yet released the man's name or age.

    Firefighters and police were still waiting to gain access to the burning home north of Halifax early Thursday.

    Halifax Regional Municipality spokesman Brendan Elliott said via email that there were still hot spots in the house preventing crews from doing a safe and secure search.

    "At this point all I can say is at least two bodies have been discovered," Elliott said.

    The region said fire and emergency crews were sent to the home on Old Guysborough Road around 4:30 p.m. and the first truck arrived at the scene at 4:55 p.m.

    In all, 30 firefighters from seven fire stations responded to the fire near Wyses Corner, where the home was engulfed in flames.

    The home is in a rural, wooded area about 25 kilometres northeast of Halifax Stanfield International Airport and not far from Dollar Lake Provincial Park.

    Elliott said one problem in fighting the fire was is a metal roof which kept the interior of the house extremely hot. Also, there was no natural way for the fire to ventilate out of the top of the house.

    Photo Courtesy- CTV News

    MORE National ARTICLES

    High school teacher under investigation over Facebook comments about aboriginals

    High school teacher under investigation over Facebook comments about aboriginals
    WINNIPEG — A Winnipeg high school teacher is being investigated over social media comments about aboriginals that showed up on a Facebook page under his name.

    High school teacher under investigation over Facebook comments about aboriginals

    Judge rules man who killed Alberta peace officer not criminally responsible

    Judge rules man who killed Alberta peace officer not criminally responsible
    CALGARY — A judge has ruled that a man who killed an Alberta peace officer who was investigating a dog complaint is not criminally responsible for the death.

    Judge rules man who killed Alberta peace officer not criminally responsible

    Police charge teens who were missing in remote Saskatchewan last month

    Police charge teens who were missing in remote Saskatchewan last month
    SOUTHEND, Sask. — Police are charging five teens who were missing for several days in northern Saskatchewan last month before they were rescued.

    Police charge teens who were missing in remote Saskatchewan last month

    Thermal bather accused of threatening endangered snail in Banff National Park

    Thermal bather accused of threatening endangered snail in Banff National Park
    BANFF, Alta. — A man has been charged for taking a dip in a thermal pool that is home to a tiny endangered mollusk in Banff National Park.

    Thermal bather accused of threatening endangered snail in Banff National Park

    Families of missing, murdered aboriginal women must be part of roundtable: AFN

    Families of missing, murdered aboriginal women must be part of roundtable: AFN
    WINNIPEG — Chiefs from across Canada say the families of missing and murdered aboriginal women must have a seat at an upcoming national roundtable on the issue.

    Families of missing, murdered aboriginal women must be part of roundtable: AFN

    TVA shareholders seek investigation of deal-making within Quebecor group

    TVA shareholders seek investigation of deal-making within Quebecor group
    MONTREAL — Some shareholders of Quebec's largest French-language television network, TVA Group, are seeking an investigation into numerous transactions and a proposed $118-million acquisition of a studio company.

    TVA shareholders seek investigation of deal-making within Quebecor group