Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Jun, 2024 11:20 AM
  • Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix

Calgary's mayor is sticking to opening day of the Stampede as a best-case scenario for the full resumption of water services in the city. 

But Jyoti Gondek warns that unforeseen problems could delay repairs to a catastrophic water main break that has forced citywide use restrictions for more than two weeks. 

Gondek says the Stampede rodeo and fair, which starts July 5, is still in talks with neighbouring communities about trucking in water for both crowds and animals at the event.

Meanwhile, she says, three sections of new pipe are ready to be installed to replace sections where inspections had revealed weaknesses. 

Two more pieces are being cleaned and prepared. 

Gondek says Calgarians continue to conserve drinking water and are on their fifth straight day of using less than the city is able to make. 

"Work could be done as early as July 5," Gondek said Thursday.

"We have to be prepared that a potential site may require a bit more repair than we had expected, or that water testing is going to take a little bit longer.

"Hang in there with me."

Calgary, a city of 1.6 million people, and surrounding municipalities have been under a combination of mandatory and voluntary water restrictions since the pipe ruptured June 5.

All outdoor watering is banned and people have been urged to reduce toilet flushes, take shorter showers and do fewer loads of laundry and dishes. 

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP looking for more info in suspicious fire

RCMP looking for more info in suspicious fire
Coquitlam Mounties are appealing for more information about the suspicious fire that destroyed the Hazel Trembath Elementary school earlier this month. Corporal Alexa Hodgins says investigators have collected 200 hours of surveillance video, conducted hundreds of witness statements and followed up on numerous tips from the community, but police still need more tips to push the investigation forward.

RCMP looking for more info in suspicious fire

Manslaughter conviction for ex drug dealer

Manslaughter conviction for ex drug dealer
A former drug dealer has been sentenced to 18 months in jail for manslaughter in the overdose death of 14-year-old Carson Crimeni in 2019.  The B-C Supreme Court heard that other youth posted video of the boy’s distress on social media before he died. 

Manslaughter conviction for ex drug dealer

Immigration minister announces new rules to curb international student fraud schemes

Immigration minister announces new rules to curb international student fraud schemes
Colleges and universities that issue acceptance letters to international students will have to confirm all of them with the federal immigration department as Canada moves to crack down on fraud. Immigration Minister Marc Miller announced the new rules Friday following an investigation this summer into more than 100 cases involving fake admission letters.

Immigration minister announces new rules to curb international student fraud schemes

Body found at Langley building explosion not a homicide: police

Body found at Langley building explosion not a homicide: police
Investigators have determined that a body found at the scene of an explosion in Langley, B.C., was not murder. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says in a statement that police came to the conclusion along with the BC Coroners Service, although it didn't explain why.

Body found at Langley building explosion not a homicide: police

Truck driver's identity who hit a North Vancouver overpass known

Truck driver's identity who hit a North Vancouver overpass known
The province says investigators now know the identity of the truck driver who hit a North Vancouver overpass last month. It says the driver abandoned their vehicle after the accident.  

Truck driver's identity who hit a North Vancouver overpass known

Man drives vehicle through scene of crash in Coquitlam

Man drives vehicle through scene of crash in Coquitlam
Coquitlam RCMP say a man was arrested for allegedly driving his vehicle through the scene of a fatal collision. Police say a passenger in one of the vehicles involved in the October 19th collision has since died of their injuries and a driver remains in hospital.  

Man drives vehicle through scene of crash in Coquitlam