Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2024 03:42 PM
  • Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry

A Conservative MP who was targeted by Beijing told a federal inquiry Wednesday that Canada has become "a playground" for foreign interference. 

Michael Chong, the Tory foreign affairs critic, said the federal government should shed its culture of secrecy and disclose more information about threats to better inform the public. 

Chong said while the vast majority of intelligence must remain secret, keeping too much information under wraps results in leaks that undermine institutions.

The inquiry's latest public hearings are focusing on the capacity of federal agencies to detect, deter and counter foreign meddling.

Chong has long been critical of China's human rights record. In May 2023, the federal government confirmed a media report that Canada's spy service had information in 2021 that the Chinese government was looking at ways to intimidate Chong and his family.

Chong told the inquiry he was disappointed to learn about Beijing's efforts by reading a newspaper story.

Soon after the story appeared he was given details at a high-level briefing, but he believes he should have been informed much earlier. 

Chong pointed a finger at Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, saying he or a delegate should have granted authorization for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service to inform him sooner of China's intentions.

Global Affairs Canada said in August 2023 it believed that Chong had been the victim of a foreign smear campaign, which the department suspected was conducted by Beijing. 

The department said a co-ordinated network of news accounts on the social media app WeChat posted a large volume of false or misleading narratives about Chong from May 4 to 13 of that year.

Chong cited that episode as a better way of handling such events.

"They informed me about it, they made the information public," he said Wednesday.

"I think that's an example of how things should be made public."

However, he expressed concern about an interaction that took place a year ago, saying he was approached by a person who offered to help as a volunteer with elections and by providing advice.

Chong told the inquiry the person seemed familiar, and a little research indicated they had been dismissed from a job years earlier at the Privy Council Office for disloyalty to Canada and being an agent of the Chinese government.

Chong said the PCO subsequently told him all records about the individual had been destroyed. 

Following his testimony, Chong told reporters it was "astounding" that the Canadian government did not have any information as to whether the person is a present threat to parliamentarians.

"It's another example of a government that has failed to make national security a priority and to protect the security of our democratic institutions."

An unclassified summary of intelligence tabled Wednesday at the inquiry says some MPs have been targeted by Beijing in relation to "their positions on a number of issues of relevance" to China. "This is mainly through overt influence activities, but CSIS assesses that some have also been targeted through clandestine, deceptive and/or coercive activity."

New Democrat MP Jenny Kwan, who has been identified as a target of clandestine Chinese influence activities, expressed concern at the inquiry about the ability of federal structures to address foreign interference.

"We actually really have to catch up with other jurisdictions."

Kwan cited a need for an "independent structure, one that is accountable and divorced from politics," to take the lead and drive actions that must be taken to protect Canada's national interest.

Former MP Erin O'Toole told the inquiry that when he was Conservative leader he considered removing a senator from the party caucus over some sponsored travel as well as apparent support for a Chinese state-owned enterprise in Ontario.

"I had allegations that I could not verify. I had no warnings from intelligence agencies if they were aware of it," O'Toole said.

"And the concern that some of my caucus members expressed to me was that if I took a rash decision about removing a member, I could be accused of racism, I could be accused of not allowing someone the right to respond."

In the end, O'Toole did nor remove the member, but he asked the party's Senate leader to "sit the person down for a very stern talking-to about the appropriateness of conduct and what was inappropriate, in my view, as the leader at the time."

O'Toole said the events highlighted a larger problem, that there was no mechanism to seek guidance from CSIS.

"I'm hoping that the inquiry can explore changes and modernization to allow our Parliament to function with the appropriate level of professional guidance, warnings, briefings, education."

O'Toole rose in the House of Commons in May 2023 to say that CSIS had told him in a recent briefing that, while party leader, he was the target of Chinese interference intended to discredit him and promote false narratives about his policies.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

DNA match in Ibrahim Ali murder case as exact as identical twins, B.C. court is told

DNA match in Ibrahim Ali murder case as exact as identical twins, B.C. court is told
An RCMP expert testifying at Ibrahim Ali's murder trial told the court she has never seen a DNA match as close as the one between the suspect and samples found on his alleged victim — except for DNA matches between identical twins. Forensic biologist Christine Crossman said police investigators were very thorough in their collection and testing of genetic samples from the body of the 13-year-old girl, whose identity is protected by a publication ban.

DNA match in Ibrahim Ali murder case as exact as identical twins, B.C. court is told

Ex-B.C. police chief to investigate release of suspect before Chinatown stabbing

Ex-B.C. police chief to investigate release of suspect before Chinatown stabbing
Former Abbotsford police chief Bob Rich has been appointed to look into the release of a man from British Columbia's psychiatric hospital before the man allegedly stabbed three people in Vancouver's Chinatown. Premier David Eby said Thursday that he has read the BC Review Board report on the accused and wants Rich to determine how the man could have been released, despite being a "really significant danger to the public." 

Ex-B.C. police chief to investigate release of suspect before Chinatown stabbing

Federal government will remove GST on new rental housing builds, senior source says

Federal government will remove GST on new rental housing builds, senior source says
A senior government source says Ottawa is planning to remove the G-S-T on construction of new rental apartment buildings. The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expected to make the announcement today as he wraps up a three-day Liberal caucus retreat in London, Ontario.

Federal government will remove GST on new rental housing builds, senior source says

B.C. Sikh referendum will ask if Indian diplomat was responsible for Nijjar killing

B.C. Sikh referendum will ask if Indian diplomat was responsible for Nijjar killing
The group Sikhs for Justice, which has been staging a series of non-binding votes in several countries on the independence issue, says the first stage of balloting in B.C. on Sunday attracted more than 135,000 voters. It says the second stage will be held on Oct. 29 and will add a second question about whether High Commissioner Sanjay Verma was responsible for the "assassination" of Hardeep Singh Nijjar.

B.C. Sikh referendum will ask if Indian diplomat was responsible for Nijjar killing

All former youth in care in B.C. now eligible for education tuition waivers: minister

All former youth in care in B.C. now eligible for education tuition waivers: minister
British Columbia has expanded its tuition waiver program to include all former youth in government care enrolling in post-secondary education. Selina Robinson, post-secondary education and future skills minister, says the program is no longer capped at the student's 27th birthday.

All former youth in care in B.C. now eligible for education tuition waivers: minister

More evacuation orders coming down around West Kelowna, B.C., wildfire

More evacuation orders coming down around West Kelowna, B.C., wildfire
The area under evacuation order around a wildfire in West Kelowna, B.C., is gradually shrinking. The Central Okanagan emergency operations centre says residents of 16 properties along Bear Creek Road are allowed to go home, although they remain on evacuation alert and must be ready to leave again if the McDougall Creek wildfire flares.   

More evacuation orders coming down around West Kelowna, B.C., wildfire