Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2024 03:42 PM
  • Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry

A Conservative MP who was targeted by Beijing told a federal inquiry Wednesday that Canada has become "a playground" for foreign interference. 

Michael Chong, the Tory foreign affairs critic, said the federal government should shed its culture of secrecy and disclose more information about threats to better inform the public. 

Chong said while the vast majority of intelligence must remain secret, keeping too much information under wraps results in leaks that undermine institutions.

The inquiry's latest public hearings are focusing on the capacity of federal agencies to detect, deter and counter foreign meddling.

Chong has long been critical of China's human rights record. In May 2023, the federal government confirmed a media report that Canada's spy service had information in 2021 that the Chinese government was looking at ways to intimidate Chong and his family.

Chong told the inquiry he was disappointed to learn about Beijing's efforts by reading a newspaper story.

Soon after the story appeared he was given details at a high-level briefing, but he believes he should have been informed much earlier. 

Chong pointed a finger at Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, saying he or a delegate should have granted authorization for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service to inform him sooner of China's intentions.

Global Affairs Canada said in August 2023 it believed that Chong had been the victim of a foreign smear campaign, which the department suspected was conducted by Beijing. 

The department said a co-ordinated network of news accounts on the social media app WeChat posted a large volume of false or misleading narratives about Chong from May 4 to 13 of that year.

Chong cited that episode as a better way of handling such events.

"They informed me about it, they made the information public," he said Wednesday.

"I think that's an example of how things should be made public."

However, he expressed concern about an interaction that took place a year ago, saying he was approached by a person who offered to help as a volunteer with elections and by providing advice.

Chong told the inquiry the person seemed familiar, and a little research indicated they had been dismissed from a job years earlier at the Privy Council Office for disloyalty to Canada and being an agent of the Chinese government.

Chong said the PCO subsequently told him all records about the individual had been destroyed. 

Following his testimony, Chong told reporters it was "astounding" that the Canadian government did not have any information as to whether the person is a present threat to parliamentarians.

"It's another example of a government that has failed to make national security a priority and to protect the security of our democratic institutions."

An unclassified summary of intelligence tabled Wednesday at the inquiry says some MPs have been targeted by Beijing in relation to "their positions on a number of issues of relevance" to China. "This is mainly through overt influence activities, but CSIS assesses that some have also been targeted through clandestine, deceptive and/or coercive activity."

New Democrat MP Jenny Kwan, who has been identified as a target of clandestine Chinese influence activities, expressed concern at the inquiry about the ability of federal structures to address foreign interference.

"We actually really have to catch up with other jurisdictions."

Kwan cited a need for an "independent structure, one that is accountable and divorced from politics," to take the lead and drive actions that must be taken to protect Canada's national interest.

Former MP Erin O'Toole told the inquiry that when he was Conservative leader he considered removing a senator from the party caucus over some sponsored travel as well as apparent support for a Chinese state-owned enterprise in Ontario.

"I had allegations that I could not verify. I had no warnings from intelligence agencies if they were aware of it," O'Toole said.

"And the concern that some of my caucus members expressed to me was that if I took a rash decision about removing a member, I could be accused of racism, I could be accused of not allowing someone the right to respond."

In the end, O'Toole did nor remove the member, but he asked the party's Senate leader to "sit the person down for a very stern talking-to about the appropriateness of conduct and what was inappropriate, in my view, as the leader at the time."

O'Toole said the events highlighted a larger problem, that there was no mechanism to seek guidance from CSIS.

"I'm hoping that the inquiry can explore changes and modernization to allow our Parliament to function with the appropriate level of professional guidance, warnings, briefings, education."

O'Toole rose in the House of Commons in May 2023 to say that CSIS had told him in a recent briefing that, while party leader, he was the target of Chinese interference intended to discredit him and promote false narratives about his policies.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Fraser pledges unprecedented housing measures as Trudeau meets Liberal caucus

Fraser pledges unprecedented housing measures as Trudeau meets Liberal caucus
Federal Housing Minister Sean Fraser says the Liberal government is set to announce unprecedented measures to help with the lack of affordable homes in Canada. He said the measures will start with an announcement Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will make in London, Ont., Wednesday afternoon before meeting with most of his party's 158 MPs.

Fraser pledges unprecedented housing measures as Trudeau meets Liberal caucus

Canada to match donations to Red Cross to help earthquake-stricken Morocco

Canada to match donations to Red Cross to help earthquake-stricken Morocco
The federal government says it will match donations to the Canadian Red Cross over the next two weeks to help Morocco recover from a devastating earthquake. International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen says every donation to the Red Cross made by individuals from Sept. 8 to 28 will be matched by the government, to a maximum of $3 million.

Canada to match donations to Red Cross to help earthquake-stricken Morocco

BC United member Bruce Banman defects to provincial Conservatives

BC United member Bruce Banman defects to provincial Conservatives
Bruce Banman, the MLA for Abbotsford South, says he is proud to join his friend B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad in the provincial legislature. BC United Leader Kevin Falcon says in a statement that Banman's move to the Conservatives is not entirely unexpected but it betrays those constituents who elected him to serve as part of the BC United team.

BC United member Bruce Banman defects to provincial Conservatives

Seven in 10 Canadians worried about climate change, link it to extreme weather

Seven in 10 Canadians worried about climate change, link it to extreme weather
A large majority of Canadians are worried about climate change and believe it is the reason for an increase in extreme weather, a new national poll suggests. The polling firm asked more than 1,500 people about their views on climate change in an online survey conducted between Sept. 8 and 10.  

Seven in 10 Canadians worried about climate change, link it to extreme weather

Housing gap to restore affordability remains at about 3.5 million units: CMHC

Housing gap to restore affordability remains at about 3.5 million units: CMHC
The federal housing agency says in its updated outlook that the supply picture has improved somewhat in Ontario, but has worsened in other provinces like Quebec, Alberta, and British Columbia. Overall, CMHC estimates 3.45 million houses are needed beyond current construction trends, compared with 3.52 million in its outlook from June of last year.

Housing gap to restore affordability remains at about 3.5 million units: CMHC

Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash
The case of a former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash is in Federal Court, where arguments are being heard today over his possible deportation. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was sentenced in 2019 to eight years after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm in the Saskatchewan crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others. 

Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash