Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post reaches deal with second-largest union, negotiations continue with CUPW

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Jun, 2025 12:35 PM
  • Canada Post reaches deal with second-largest union, negotiations continue with CUPW

Canada Post says it has reached a contract deal with its second-largest union as negotiations continue with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers. 

The Crown corporation says the new collective agreement with the Canadian Postmasters and Assistants Association comes after 18 months of negotiations, the same span of time it's been in talks with CUPW.

The postal service says the agreement with the CPAA covers about 8,500 employees, who mostly manage post offices in rural Canada.

It says the new agreement includes an 11 per cent wage increase over three years, retroactive to the start of 2024, including a six per cent increase in the first year, three per cent for 2025 and two per cent in 2026.

In a negotiation update on its website, the CPAA said it made "significant advancements" in many areas of the collective agreement, which also include a bump in leasing allowances, Truth and Reconciliation Day added as a designated holiday and a childcare fund created.

Canada Post is still trying to reach a deal with CUPW, its largest union representing about 55,000 postal workers.

Updates last week from the two sides indicated they were struggling to make progress on talks, while the union remains in a legal strike position with all members under an overtime ban since May 23.

In announcing the deal with the CPAA, Canada Post said the arbitrator between the two said a recent report on the state of Canada's postal service had an impact on the negotiations. 

Canada Post spokeswoman Lisa Liu said last week that CUPW has effectively refused to take heed of the federally commissioned report that called for major reforms to the 158-year-old institution, including more flexible routes and part-time weekend positions with similar pay rates and benefits.

The union said last week that Canada Post is refusing to meet it "halfway" on arbitration, with talks stalled and the two sides still far apart.

Given the impasse, the federal government intervened last week to force unionized Canada Post workers to vote directly on the latest offers from the postal service, though no date has been set.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Liam Richards

MORE National ARTICLES

Inmate dies after prison assault

Inmate dies after prison assault
Correctional Service Canada says an inmate has died after an assault at a B-C prison. The service says the 43-year-old inmate died Sunday while in the custody of the Kent Institution in Agassiz.

Inmate dies after prison assault

Snowfall warnings for some BC highways

Snowfall warnings for some BC highways
Environment Canada has issued a number of snowfall and winter storm warnings on some B-C highways extending into today. The agency says winter storm conditions are in the forecast for the Sea to Sky Highway from Squamish to Whistler, as well as the Coquihalla from Hope to Merritt and Highway 3 between Grand Forks and Creston.

Snowfall warnings for some BC highways

Trudeau's advisers lay out his options as path to stay on as PM narrows

Trudeau's advisers lay out his options as path to stay on as PM narrows
A senior Liberal close to the prime minister says Trudeau is being presented possible paths forward, including proroguing Parliament to allow a Liberal leadership race to take place.

Trudeau's advisers lay out his options as path to stay on as PM narrows

Potential scenarios for Liberals and the PM as Trudeau Government in Crisis

Potential scenarios for Liberals and the PM as Trudeau Government in Crisis
Way down in the polls with 2025 set as an election year and no signs of a Liberal recovery on the horizon, Trudeau is facing a key moment where he must decide whether he should stay or go. Here's a look at some of the scenarios and possibilities the Liberals now face:

Potential scenarios for Liberals and the PM as Trudeau Government in Crisis

Two Saanich police officers charged with sexual assault

Two Saanich police officers charged with sexual assault
Police say 43-year-old Sgt. Matthew Ball, and 40-year-old Const. Ryan Johnston formed separate "intimate" and "inappropriate" relationships with a woman in her mid-20s who they met while on duty, and it does not appear that the two officers acted together.

Two Saanich police officers charged with sexual assault

Surrey launches chatbot

Surrey launches chatbot
Surrey has launched an artificial intelligence chatbot designed to improve response to the public about renovating, building and development in the city. The city says the Development Inquiry Assistant was launched after a pilot version was released earlier in the year in April.

Surrey launches chatbot