Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jun, 2025 01:43 PM
  • Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Canada Post has rejected a request from the union representing about 55,000 of its workers to send their ongoing labour dispute to binding arbitration.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers made the request in a statement Saturday, saying it was inviting Canada Post to a fair, final and binding arbitration process to resolve negotiations that have dragged on for months without producing a new collective agreement. 

But the Crown corporation dismissed the proposal in a response on Sunday, saying it wants to "restore stability" to the postal service and arguing the union's request for binding arbitration would do the opposite.

Canada Post says arbitration would be long and complicated and would likely last more than a year, adding to what it described as its significant financial challenges.

Canada Post presented what it called its "final offers" to the union on Wednesday, with concessions including an end to compulsory overtime and a signing bonus of up to $1,000.

But it stuck to a proposal for a 14-per-cent cumulative wage hike over four years and part-time staff on weekend shifts, a major sticking point in the talks.

Canada Post said the two sides are at loggerheads after months of conciliation and mediation and has asked Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu to force a union membership vote on its latest proposals.

A statement from the CUPW Sunday evening said the forced union vote would not bring lasting labour peace -- regardless of the vote's outcome.

"This refusal constitutes yet another demonstration that (Canada Post) is not interested in a reasonable outcome to this round of negotiation. A forced vote may fail to end the labour conflict and risks further division, prolonging uncertainty for all parties," the statement said.

The union has been in a legal strike position as of May 23, but so far has opted to ban members from working overtime instead. 

Picture Courtesy:  THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Langley restaurant destroyed in fire

Langley restaurant destroyed in fire
The executive director of the Downtown Langley Business Association says the community is rallying together after a Mexican restaurant in the city’s downtown core was destroyed by a massive fire on Saturday.  Teri James says it’s tragic to see the building in the city’s downtown core completely gone, impacting several businesses, including Viva Mexico restaurant. 

Langley restaurant destroyed in fire

Man dead after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop in Surrey

Man dead after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop in Surrey
A 33-year-old man died after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop bench in Surrey where two people were waiting for a bus. Surrey RCMP say officers responded to the scene on Saturday afternoon after receiving a report of a motor vehicle collision.

Man dead after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop in Surrey

One dead in Merritt rollover crash

One dead in Merritt rollover crash
Police in B-C say one person is dead and four others are injured following a serious single-vehicle rollover near Merritt. R-C-M-P say they were called to the scene at around 3:50 p.m. Saturday after receiving a report of a serious vehicle incident on Highway 5 north of Juliet Road. 

One dead in Merritt rollover crash

Police car stolen at Vancouver park

Police car stolen at Vancouver park
A man with a lengthy criminal record is back in custody after allegedly stealing a police car at a Vancouver park yesterday morning. Vancouver police say the car was allegedly stolen around 10:45 a.m. after officers were flagged down to help a woman in distress in East Vancouver. 

Police car stolen at Vancouver park

Nuremberg and Nazi comparisons to COVID-19 measures 'unacceptable': Rustad

Nuremberg and Nazi comparisons to COVID-19 measures 'unacceptable': Rustad
That's after video surfaced of Rustad saying his party would "certainly be participating with other jurisdictions" after being asked at an online meeting in July about where he stood on "Nuremberg 2.0," which is the idea that people behind public health measures during the pandemic should be put on trial.

Nuremberg and Nazi comparisons to COVID-19 measures 'unacceptable': Rustad

Year long trafficking investigation leads to 1 arrest and seizure of 23 kgs of illicit drugs

Year long trafficking investigation leads to 1 arrest and seizure of 23 kgs of illicit drugs
Surrey RCMP say a more than a year long drug trafficking investigation has led to one arrest and the seizure of 23-kilograms of M-D-M-A, a quantity of fentanyl and other illicit drugs. They say the probe targeted a network that allegedly supplied bulk amounts of illicit drugs to traffickers in several Greater Vancouver cities.

Year long trafficking investigation leads to 1 arrest and seizure of 23 kgs of illicit drugs