Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2025 11:00 AM
  • Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Canada Post says it will be sending new offers to the Canadian Union of Postal Workers in an effort to move negotiations forward.

The Crown corporation said the new terms will allow the two sides to return to the bargaining table next week, with work already underway to make that happen.

The move comes after the union representing 55,000 postal workers imposed a ban on flyer deliveries that started Monday, as the union also urged Canada Post back to negotiations.

In early August, union members voted down what Canada Post said was its final offer. The union put forward its latest counter-proposal on Aug. 20, which Canada Post said adds significant new costs and restrictions at a challenging time for the postal service.

Canada Post said it asked the union to come back with a more workable solution, but since that hasn't happened, it decided to present new global offers with the hopes that the two sides can find common ground on important issues like weekend delivery.

Pressure is mounting to reach a deal as the crucial holiday season approaches. 

A strike and lockout lasted more than a month in November and December last year, ending only after then-labour minister Steven MacKinnon declared an impasse in the talks and asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order an end to the work stoppage.

Jan Simpson, president of CUPW, said last Friday that the union shifted from an overtime ban to the flyer ban to address Canada Post's objections to how it was affecting operations. 

She said the goal is to get a deal in place before Christmas, but that if Canada Post "continues to stall, postal workers will have no choice but to consider stronger actions to move negotiations ahead."

Canada Post said that it has asked the union to deliver the flyers that are currently trapped in its network ahead of the restart of talks. 

It said the ban on flyer deliveries is affecting many customers, including community newspapers, small businesses and charities.

The two sides have been in contract talks for almost two years over issues like wages and part-time workers at a time that the postal service keeps incurring significant financial losses. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa posts $21.7 billion deficit for April-to-December period

Ottawa posts $21.7 billion deficit for April-to-December period
The federal government posted a budgetary deficit of $21.7 billion for the April-to-December period of its 2024-25 fiscal year. The result compared with a deficit of $23.6 billion for the same period a year earlier.

Ottawa posts $21.7 billion deficit for April-to-December period

Group files complaint to B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to remove drug clinic access fees

Group files complaint to B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to remove drug clinic access fees
A complaint has been filed with British Columbia's Human Right Tribunal over clinic fees paid by some of those who get opioid treatments. Vancouver lawyer Jason Gratl says his clients, Garth Mullins and the B.C. Association for People on Opioid Maintenance, have filed the complaint on behalf of those "who paid out-of-pocket private clinic access fees" for opioid agonist treatments.

Group files complaint to B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to remove drug clinic access fees

From boom to bust: Alberta economy back in the red with $5.2-billion deficit budget

From boom to bust: Alberta economy back in the red with $5.2-billion deficit budget
Alberta’s finances, tied for generations to the steep peaks and sharp valleys of oil and gas prices, are once again plunging deep into deficit, with no immediate relief in sight. Finance Minister Nate Horner introduced a budget Thursday that projects a $5.2-billion deficit this fiscal year on total spending of $79 billion.

From boom to bust: Alberta economy back in the red with $5.2-billion deficit budget

'Do better': Murder victims' families react after possible remains found in landfill

'Do better': Murder victims' families react after possible remains found in landfill
The Manitoba government, which is spearheading the search with guidance from family members and First Nations leaders, announced Wednesday that suspected human remains had been discovered at the site.  It could take weeks for coroners to make a positive identification.

'Do better': Murder victims' families react after possible remains found in landfill

B.C. solicitor general says police warned Opposition operative away from care home

B.C. solicitor general says police warned Opposition operative away from care home
The B.C. government and the Opposition have released duelling narratives about a mental-health facility that is at the heart of alleged voter irregularities in the October election. Solicitor General Garry Begg's response to a court petition says a Conservative operative was warned by police to stay away from Argyll Lodge in the riding of Surrey-Guildford.

B.C. solicitor general says police warned Opposition operative away from care home

Special avalanche warning issued in B.C., Alberta as 'dangerous' conditions develop

Special avalanche warning issued in B.C., Alberta as 'dangerous' conditions develop
Avalanche Canada has issued a special warning covering large sections of B.C. and western Alberta's backcountry, saying triggered slides could be "dangerous and destructive."  The forecaster says drought in January and February created "prominent weak layers" in the snowpack that are now buried under up to 100 centimetres of new snow.

Special avalanche warning issued in B.C., Alberta as 'dangerous' conditions develop