Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post, union, still disagree over weekend delivery following weekend talks

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Nov, 2024 11:20 AM
  • Canada Post, union, still disagree over weekend delivery following weekend talks

Canada Post and the union representing its workers are commenting on how weekend talks for a new contract went, with the employer calling them less productive than they'd hoped and the union claiming their employer is focused on flexibility to deliver parcels at the lowest possible cost.

The Crown corporation says in a news release late Monday that neither side has provided the minimum 72-hour notice of their intent to start a labour disruption, but the Canadian Union of Postal Workers repeated a threat on its website that it "won’t shy away from taking the next step" if there is no real movement at the bargaining table.

The issue of parcel delivery seven days a week was referenced in both statements, with Canada Post saying significant change is required to prevent if from falling behind in the delivery market.

The union's statement says its priority is ensuring weekend delivery does not compromise their regular, full-time routes on weekdays, and it says it isn't satisfied Canada Post's plan will accomplish that.

It says its negotiators also focused on improvements to a short-term disability plan.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers could have been in a legal strike position as of Sunday.

"The threat of a strike during the holiday shipping season has already had a serious effect on our business, which has impacted volumes and revenue and will further deteriorate our financial situation," Canada Post said in its statement Monday.

"To date, the union has been either resistant to change or has required serious constraints on our flexible delivery proposals, which would negate any potential benefits of the change. We remain hopeful that further discussions will afford a breakthrough, but urgency is now required."

The union's statement said its negotiators remain at the table and that the negotiations committee appreciates "the tremendous amount of support from members."

"Your encouragement has not gone unnoticed," it said.

Federal Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon met last Thursday with the union and Canada Post management to encourage them to reach a negotiated settlement.

The union announced last week its members had voted overwhelmingly to support a strike if a deal could not be reached at the bargaining table

Canada Post has said operations are continuing as normal.

MORE National ARTICLES

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit
Lawyers for several Humboldt Broncos families are in court fighting a bid from the government of Saskatchewan to have it removed as a defendant in a lawsuit over the 2018 deadly bus crash. Five families are suing over the bus crash, alleging the province knew the rural intersection where it happened had problems with visibility but did nothing to fix it.

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit

Darpan 10 with Mr. Amjad Bajwa, President of Cricket Canada

Darpan 10 with Mr. Amjad Bajwa, President of Cricket Canada
We sat down with Amjad Bajwa, the newly elected President of Cricket Canada, to discuss the future of cricket in Canada. As one of the country's fastest-growing sports, we explore his plans and visions for advancing the game nationwide.

Darpan 10 with Mr. Amjad Bajwa, President of Cricket Canada

Man charged in home invasion

Man charged in home invasion
A man charged in the death of a 78-year-old woman in Vancouver has pleaded guilty to manslaughter. The man entered the plea in B-C Supreme Court this week in connection with a January 2021 home invasion that killed the senior.

Man charged in home invasion

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Israel seemed to be on the verge of approving a program to get Palestinian relatives of Canadians out of the Gaza Strip before the country's invasion of the town of Rafah. Miller announced Monday an increase in the number of applications that will be processed for those leaving the Gaza Strip through that program, but his department isn't sure if any Palestinians have actually arrived in Canada through those means.

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller

B.C. universities focus on talks with encamped protesters as others take legal action

B.C. universities focus on talks with encamped protesters as others take legal action
Some Canadian universities are taking legal action to end pro-Palestinian encampments on their campuses, but three schools in British Columbia are taking less confrontational approaches. The University of Victoria says it's focusing on dialogue with encamped protesters, while Vancouver Island University says it's committed to a "measured" response.

B.C. universities focus on talks with encamped protesters as others take legal action

B.C. announces online building permit hub to speed up homebuilding across province

B.C. announces online building permit hub to speed up homebuilding across province
The British Columbia government says a new online "hub" will speed up building permit processes across jurisdictions. Premier David Eby says "slow and complicated" building permit processes have delayed housing development at a time when it's urgently needed.

B.C. announces online building permit hub to speed up homebuilding across province