Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada to wait for U.S. leak investigation: expert

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Apr, 2023 12:14 PM
  • Canada to wait for U.S. leak investigation: expert

OTTAWA - A national security expert says Canada will likely wait for American security services to investigate and brief Ottawa on an apparent release of Pentagon documents onto social media sites appearing to detail U.S. and NATO operations in Ukraine.

Wesley Wark, a senior fellow with the Centre for International Governance Innovation, says Canadian officials will want to learn from Americans the seriousness of the leak and the specific information pertaining to Canada contained within the documents.

The documents posted online are labelled secret and contain what appear to be details on weapons and equipment shipments to Ukraine, but they also contain apparent inaccuracies that have some questioning their authenticity, or whether they were altered.

Wark says the package of leaks is diverse and without an obvious target, making the motivations of the leaker "mysterious."

He expects the Americans will be reluctant to share any counter-intelligence information with allies in the early stages of its investigation, but it would also be premature for Canada to launch any kind of investigation on its own without a fuller picture.

He says the intelligence leaks are bound to affect the U.S.-Ukraine relationship because it will at least temporarily cause some real tension in how the two countries share intelligence, which could impact Ukraine's broader war effort.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Bump in COVID-19 cases expected, says Tam

Bump in COVID-19 cases expected, says Tam
In Canada, the daily average number of people in hospital with COVID-19 declined by 11 per cent since last week, and the number of people in intensive care declined by 14 per cent.

Bump in COVID-19 cases expected, says Tam

Charest says Tories must pick 'adult in the room'

Charest says Tories must pick 'adult in the room'
Federal Conservatives and their supporters have long been calling for the removal of vaccine mandates for domestic air travellers, public servants and those working in federally regulated industries.

Charest says Tories must pick 'adult in the room'

Convoy cost Ottawa $36.3M, memo says

Convoy cost Ottawa $36.3M, memo says
A memo to councillors released by the city says almost all of the $36.3-million bill is linked to policing the protest that clogged city streets by Parliament Hill in the downtown core.    

Convoy cost Ottawa $36.3M, memo says

Transit strike drags on in Sea-to-Sky corridor

Transit strike drags on in Sea-to-Sky corridor
Unifor Western Regional Director Gavin McGarrigle says in a statement that progress was being made during two days of negotiations before they ended late Thursday.

Transit strike drags on in Sea-to-Sky corridor

Charest says he won't change Canada's gun laws

Charest says he won't change Canada's gun laws
In a wide-ranging interview, he said that when it comes to gun control he believes the focus should be on stopping the flow of handguns coming into Canada from across the border. He pointed to the volume of shootings that have happened in Montreal and Toronto.

Charest says he won't change Canada's gun laws

Ontario students 'stable' after deadly Texas crash

Ontario students 'stable' after deadly Texas crash
Nine people were killed in the fiery Tuesday night crash and the two Canadians — Dayton Price, 19, of Mississauga, Ont., and Hayden Underhill, 20, of Amherstview, Ont. — suffered critical injuries.    

Ontario students 'stable' after deadly Texas crash