Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada wants 'robust' COVID-19 probe: Hajdu

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jun, 2021 02:51 PM
  • Canada wants 'robust' COVID-19 probe: Hajdu

The federal government wants a "robust" and ongoing investigation into the origins of the novel coronavirus, Health Minister Patty Hajdu said in the House of Commons Monday ahead of an expected grilling by MPs examining Canada's relationship with China.

“Like many countries around the world, we have always been clear that we need to understand the origins of COVID-19 and we will work with our international partners to ensure there is a robust and continued investigation into the origins of this virus," Hajdu said in response to a question from Conservative MP Michael Chong.

"It is important not just for Canadians but indeed for the entire world so that we can prevent another epidemic of this kind.”

The communique that emerged from the G7 summit in Cornwall, U.K., this weekend called for another investigation by the World Health Organization into how the pandemic began.

Once dismissed by most public health experts and government officials, the notion that COVID-19 leaked accidentally from a Chinese lab is now under a new U.S. investigation ordered by President Joe Biden, which is also exploring whether the virus jumped from animals to humans.

The Conservatives have been pushing the Liberal government to hand over documents they argue could shed light on that investigation, involving two scientists escorted out of the high-security National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg in 2019.

Xiangguo Qiu and her biologist husband, Kending Cheng, were officially fired in January.

Qiu had earlier been responsible for a shipment of Ebola and Henipah viruses to China's Wuhan Institute of Virology, but the Public Health Agency of Canada has said those events are unrelated.

In May, Iain Stewart, the president of the agency, told a parliamentary committee that the Winnipeg facility routinely shares samples with other labs and adheres to strict protocols.

Hajdu is set to appear at the special committee on Canada-China relations Monday night alongside Stewart and Dr. Guillaume Poliquin, acting vice-president at the Winnipeg facility, where they will face questions about the issue.

Two weeks ago, a majority of MPs passed a motion in the House of Commons demanding the Trudeau government release unredacted documents related to what happened at the National Microbiology Laboratory to the special committee.

The Liberal government instead handed over the documents to the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians.

"The director of the lab has been very clear that there is no connection with their departure and COVID-19," Hajdu told the House of Commons earlier this month, adding it was "irresponsible" for the Conservatives "to try and draw that link."

MORE National ARTICLES

Vaccines safe for kids 12 and up: B.C. top doctor

Vaccines safe for kids 12 and up: B.C. top doctor
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says they're looking at ways to immunize young people with their first dose by the end of June now that Health Canada has approved the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for those 12 and older.

Vaccines safe for kids 12 and up: B.C. top doctor

572 COVID cases for Wednesday

572 COVID cases for Wednesday
There have been no new COVID-19 related deaths, for a total of 1,594 deaths in British Columbia. Our condolences are with the family, friends and caregivers of the people who have died as a result of COVID-19.

572 COVID cases for Wednesday

Man Arrested and Charged in Series of Violent Assaults: Metro Vancouver Transit Police

Man Arrested and Charged in Series of Violent Assaults: Metro Vancouver Transit Police
Arrested and charged with two counts of Assault and one count of Assault by Choking is 44-year-old Benjamin James McBeath of no fixed address, who is well known to police.

Man Arrested and Charged in Series of Violent Assaults: Metro Vancouver Transit Police

B.C. recognizes wrongs against Japanese Canadians

B.C. recognizes wrongs against Japanese Canadians
A statement from the Ministry of Attorney General says the fund will be used to develop and deliver health and wellness programs to Japanese Canadian internment survivors.

B.C. recognizes wrongs against Japanese Canadians

Surrey Police unveils new badge

Surrey Police unveils new badge
Flanked by the words honour, integrity and respect, the shield within the badge has three key visual elements: The Coast Salish eye, a fess (check) pattern, and six stars—one for each of Surrey’s town centres (Cloverdale, Guildford, Fleetwood, Newton, South Surrey, Whalley/City Centre). 

Surrey Police unveils new badge

Alberta to offer COVID-19 vaccine to 12 and older

Alberta to offer COVID-19 vaccine to 12 and older
Kenney says outside of the northern territories, Alberta is the first jurisdiction in Canada to offer vaccines to anyone older than 12.

Alberta to offer COVID-19 vaccine to 12 and older