Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadian Blood Services criticized over masks move

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jul, 2022 11:39 AM
  • Canadian Blood Services criticized over masks move

TORONTO - Canadian Blood Services is facing criticism from some donors after suspending mandatory masking at its buildings and collection events.

The agency says people are still welcome to wear masks if they want, but mandatory masking and physical distancing were suspended as of Monday after consultation with medical and epidemiology experts.

Jan Brown, who says she has donated blood more than 50 times, says she now doesn't want to donate in light of the agency's decision because she doesn't want to risk getting COVID-19.

Ottawa resident Jamie O'Neil says Canadian Blood Services' decision puts donors and their loved ones at risk.

She says she won't be donating blood soon because she supports her 81-year-old father who has cancer and she doesn't want to risk getting sick with COVID-19 and passing the virus to him.

Canadian Blood Services has noted that it is a community setting, not a hospital or health-care setting, and as such is able to shift from mandatory to optional measures on masking.

MORE National ARTICLES

Delhi riots accused gets 'rousing' welcome in parole period

Delhi riots accused gets 'rousing' welcome in parole period
In the latest video, which went viral on social media, Shahrukh Pathan could be seen walking down the streets of the northeast area of Delhi, accompanied by a handful of policemen and a huge crowd raising slogans in his favour.

Delhi riots accused gets 'rousing' welcome in parole period

Man stabbed in North Delta

Man stabbed in North Delta
The male victim who was suffering from an apparent stab wound drove himself from the scene, and DPD officers located him in Surrey. The victim and the suspect are known to each other and there is no risk to the public. The victim suffered minor injuries and was released from hospital a short time later.  

Man stabbed in North Delta

Girls age 7 & 9 allegedly abducted from their mother's home in Vancouver

Girls age 7 & 9 allegedly abducted from their mother's home in Vancouver
Alana is known to the children and their mother, and there is no indication that either child has been harmed or is in imminent danger. Investigators believe there is no concern for the safety of any other children in the community.

Girls age 7 & 9 allegedly abducted from their mother's home in Vancouver

Surrey RCMP locate body of a male, foul play suspected, IHIT investigates

Surrey RCMP locate body of a male, foul play suspected, IHIT investigates
On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 8:43 pm, Surrey RCMP was called to Hazelnut Meadows Park located near 140 Street between 68 Avenue and 70 Ave. Upon police attendance, a deceased man was located, whose injuries were consistent with suspected foul play.

Surrey RCMP locate body of a male, foul play suspected, IHIT investigates

Surrey man dies from injuries in shooting

Surrey man dies from injuries in shooting
They say officers had responded to a shots-fired report in the 13,700-block of Grosvenor Road around 9:49 a.m. last Saturday, when they found Brown injured and took him to hospital, where he died on Wednesday.

Surrey man dies from injuries in shooting

Former B.C. clerk to be sentenced July 4

Former B.C. clerk to be sentenced July 4
The fraud charge against Craig James was stayed last week because it was related to the same set of evidence involving nearly $1,900 in claims he made for work attire, so a conviction was not entered on that count.

Former B.C. clerk to be sentenced July 4