Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadian Blood Services criticized over masks move

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jul, 2022 11:39 AM
  • Canadian Blood Services criticized over masks move

TORONTO - Canadian Blood Services is facing criticism from some donors after suspending mandatory masking at its buildings and collection events.

The agency says people are still welcome to wear masks if they want, but mandatory masking and physical distancing were suspended as of Monday after consultation with medical and epidemiology experts.

Jan Brown, who says she has donated blood more than 50 times, says she now doesn't want to donate in light of the agency's decision because she doesn't want to risk getting COVID-19.

Ottawa resident Jamie O'Neil says Canadian Blood Services' decision puts donors and their loved ones at risk.

She says she won't be donating blood soon because she supports her 81-year-old father who has cancer and she doesn't want to risk getting sick with COVID-19 and passing the virus to him.

Canadian Blood Services has noted that it is a community setting, not a hospital or health-care setting, and as such is able to shift from mandatory to optional measures on masking.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. launches province wide lung cancer screening

B.C. launches province wide lung cancer screening
Screening will be available at 36 centres across all health authorities using existing CT scans for those who are between 55 and 74, currently smoking or have previously smoked, and have a smoking history of 20 years or more.

B.C. launches province wide lung cancer screening

B.C. documents outline decision to rebuild museum

B.C. documents outline decision to rebuild museum
The Opposition Liberals have called the proposed replacement a "billion-dollar vanity project," and Liberal Leader Kevin Falcon says he will cancel the rebuild if elected premier in 2024.    

B.C. documents outline decision to rebuild museum

Court date for man after Victoria airport scar

Court date for man after Victoria airport scar
A statement released Wednesday by Cpl. Andres Sanchez says the RCMP were called when an airport security employee became concerned upon finding the first bag with two items that appeared to be "incendiary devices."

Court date for man after Victoria airport scar

Coquitlam RCMP warns of online rental property scams

Coquitlam RCMP warns of online rental property scams
In one situation, the victim reached out to the person who posted the ad and sent a deposit and half a months rent through e-transfer without ever viewing the rental suite. When the victim attended on the move in date she realized the property was not for rent and contacted police.

Coquitlam RCMP warns of online rental property scams

Early morning shooting results in one man being injured

Early morning shooting results in one man being injured
Ridge Meadows RCMP Serious Crimes Unit are still in the evidence gathering stage of the investigation, however this incident does not appear to be random.

Early morning shooting results in one man being injured

176th Street re-opened in Surrey after serious collision

176th Street re-opened in Surrey after serious collision
Due to the serious nature of the collision 176 Street was closed in both directions between 88 Avenue and 96 Avenue but has since re-opened. The investigation is in the early stages. 

176th Street re-opened in Surrey after serious collision