Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jun, 2023 10:04 AM
  • Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Canadian wildfires are continuing to send heavy clouds of smoke south, from Northern Ontario and Quebec, through both provinces and into the United States.

Environment Canada has issued special air quality statements for large areas of Ontario and Quebec warning of high levels of air pollution due to the smoke.

The agency says wildfire smoke plumes moved into the impacted areas including the Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, Windsor, Barrie and London in Ontario and most of northern Quebec. 

It says people with lung or heart disease, older adults, children and others are at higher risk of suffering adverse health effects of forest fires smoke. 

The agency says wildfire pollution level can fluctuate over time and can vary depending on the location, but air quality is expected to improve for some areas on Thursday night.

Air quality warnings are also in effect in Chicago and Detroit and along with Toronto, they occupy three of the top four spots on Air-I-Q's global ranking for poor air quality.

As of this morning, Dubai in the United Arab Emirates tops the list of major cities with a significant score of 411 -- putting its air quality in the "Hazardous" category. Detroit ranks second, followed by Chicago, and Toronto in fourth, with an "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" rating of 159.

Still, some of the smaller communities in Southern Ontario are fairing far worse, with Sarnia scoring 372, as of 3:30 a.m., a score that places the city not far behind Dubai. Air-I-Q updates its numbers hourly.

The Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre's website shows there are 487 active fires burning across the country this morning, with 253 of them classified as out of control.

As of Tuesday afternoon, there were 66 active fires in Northern Ontario, and as of this morning, 76 fires were burning across Quebec.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Identity fraud results in $5K purchase and an arrest in Surrey: Port Moody Police

Identity fraud results in $5K purchase and an arrest in Surrey: Port Moody Police
In June of  2022, a victim of identity fraud contacted Port Moody Police after discovering a credit card was opened in their name and a $5000 purchase had been made on said credit card. The investigator was able to trace the fraudulent transaction and identify suspect.  This lead the investigation to multiple properties in Surrey including a secure storage facility.

Identity fraud results in $5K purchase and an arrest in Surrey: Port Moody Police

Vancouver zoo's missing wolf Tempest found safe

Vancouver zoo's missing wolf Tempest found safe
The Greater Vancouver Zoo says in a statement the discovery of the one-year-old female canine known as Tempest puts an end to a three-day search and rescue operation.

Vancouver zoo's missing wolf Tempest found safe

Suspects use chop saws to cut open ATM and steal cash in Mission

Suspects use chop saws to cut open ATM and steal cash in Mission
On Thursday in the early morning hours of 3am, three suspects entered the Coop Gas Bar located 34900 block of Lougheed Hwy. The suspects used two chop saws to cut open the ATM and steal and undisclosed amount of cash.

Suspects use chop saws to cut open ATM and steal cash in Mission

Coquitlam RCMP appeal to public for video or witnesses to shooting

Coquitlam RCMP appeal to public for video or witnesses to shooting
No one was injured as a result of this shooting, but police are looking for more witnesses and, in particular, anyone who might have dashcam or surveillance video of any vehicles or people in the area at the time.

Coquitlam RCMP appeal to public for video or witnesses to shooting

Richmond RCMP investigating shots fired

Richmond RCMP investigating shots fired
Mounties believe that it was a targeted shooting. A dark coloured pickup truck was observed fleeing the scene and investigators have located an abandoned vehicle suspected of being involved in the incident in Surrey.

Richmond RCMP investigating shots fired

Overnight stabbing in Surrey leaves man dead: IHIT

Overnight stabbing in Surrey leaves man dead: IHIT
Frontline officers arrived on scene and located a 45-year-old man suffering from serious injuries. The man was transported to hospital where he later died of his injuries.

Overnight stabbing in Surrey leaves man dead: IHIT