Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Cargo ship near Victoria lost 106 containers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2021 01:24 PM
  • Cargo ship near Victoria lost 106 containers

VICTORIA - The coast guard has updated the number of containers that fell into the ocean from a cargo ship off Victoria to 106, up from the original estimate of 40.

It says the owner of the MV Zim Kingston provided information showing 2,000 containers were on board with 1,000 on deck when two caught fire and others fell overboard as the ship approached Vancouver last week.

The coast guard says in a statement that two containers with hazardous chemicals were among those lost, and that number hasn't changed since the first estimate.

It says authorities now have a list of contents from all containers identified as being lost, including industrial and car parts, Christmas decorations, sofas, poker tables, clothing, toys, yoga mats, stand up paddle boards and other everyday items.

The coast guard says it expects some of the containers have sunk, while others have been spotted near Cape Scott on the northern tip of Vancouver Island.

Officials have said it may be several days before fires inside individual containers on the Greece-based ship can be extinguished.

The owner, Danaos Shipping Co., has said it is co-operating with Canadian officials.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 27, 2021.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver Police stretched thin during violent weekend with series of shootings, stabbings, and major crime

Vancouver Police stretched thin during violent weekend with series of shootings, stabbings, and major crime
In addition to these major incidents, VPD officers also monitored a number protests during the weekend and launched dozens of other investigations related to missing persons cases, assaults, and traffic collisions.

Vancouver Police stretched thin during violent weekend with series of shootings, stabbings, and major crime

Election campaign enters final week

Election campaign enters final week
A group calling itself Canadian Frontline Nurses has looked to organize what it dubs "silent vigils" at hospitals across the country in response to public health restrictions aimed at slowing the spread of COVID-19, which they call "tyrannical measures and government overreach."

Election campaign enters final week

B.C. COVID-19 vaccine card takes effect

B.C. COVID-19 vaccine card takes effect
The digital or paper vaccine card is required at settings such as ticketed sports events, concerts, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, casinos, gyms and movie theatres.

B.C. COVID-19 vaccine card takes effect

B.C. finance minister to provide update

B.C. finance minister to provide update
Robinson reported in July that the deficit of $5.46 billion for the 2020-21 fiscal year that ended March 31 had come in nearly $3 billion lower than forecast.

B.C. finance minister to provide update

Shots fired at Surrey RCMP Officer

Shots fired at Surrey RCMP Officer
There is a road closure in effect on 82 Avenue between 128 Street and 124 Street. The roadway is expected to be closed for some time as the Integrated Forensic Identification Service collects evidence in the area.

Shots fired at Surrey RCMP Officer

820 COVID19 cases for Friday

820 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are 5,850 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 165,027 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 281 individuals are in hospital and 135 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.    

820 COVID19 cases for Friday