Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Carney says he'll 'take note' of opposition motion to table a spring economic update

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Jun, 2025 02:41 PM
  • Carney says he'll 'take note' of opposition motion to table a spring economic update

Prime Minister Mark Carney said he will "take noteof the successful opposition motion to add language calling for a spring economic update to the throne speech, but did not say when or how that will happen.

"We take note of last night's motion. But what Canadians deserve … what Canadian provinces deserve is a health care transfer, a transfer for child care, a transfer for dental care and a transfer to support affordability. That's what's in the main estimates and we expect the support of members opposite," Carney said during question period Tuesday.

The government last week tabled main spending estimates worth nearly $487 billion. MPs will be required to vote on the estimates to keep government operations running into the summer.

Conservative and Bloc MPs used their time during question period Tuesday to press the government to table a budget so they know what the government's finances look like before voting on more spending.

Asked about tabling a spring budget or an economic update, Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne said he's "already talked about that."

Champagne has said that the government is working toward a fall budget.

Speaking before the Liberal cabinet meeting Tuesday morning, government whip Mark Gerretsen insisted nothing went wrong on Monday when opposition parties successfully amended the throne speech to call on the government to table an economic update before Parliament breaks for the summer.

The Liberals were defeated 166 to 164 on that vote. 

Four Liberal Liberal MPs did not vote because of paired abstentions, which happen when parties agree to have a member sit out a vote because someone from another party is not able to attend.

Gerretsen told reporters on his way into a cabinet meeting Tuesday morning that everything went according to plan.

"Every single person who was supposed to vote yesterday voted," he said.

The amendment, tabled by House of Commons Opposition Leader Andrew Scheer, added a passage to the throne speech calling for a spring economic update.

The amendment said that update should include the government's plan to "unleash Canada's economic potential" and explain how it will respect provincial jurisdiction and Indigenous rights.

The amendment includes language inserted by the Bloc Québécois and the NDP, and all three opposition parties voted to support it.

Government House leader Steven MacKinnon said Tuesday the vote that really matters is the confidence motion on adopting the throne speech, set for Wednesday.

"It was a non-binding advisory resolution of the House of Commons. I suspect you're going to see a lot more of them," MacKinnon said.

"I think the note said 'urge' and we'll take note of having been urged." 

The minority Liberal government has 169 MPs, including House Speaker Francis Scarpaleggia — who does not vote, except in the event of a tie.

That leaves the Liberals four votes shy of a majority, meaning they have to work with other parties to pass legislation and survive confidence motions.

The NDP, which had a supply-and-confidence agreement with the previous Liberal government, has said it will not enter a formal arrangement to support Prime Minister Carney's government. The NDP was reduced to seven MPs in the recent election but could still hold the balance of power.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said his party's 144 MPs will not "reflexively oppose" the government and will support measures that improve the status quo.

But the Conservatives also have been highly critical of the government's plan to delay introducing a budget — traditionally released in the spring — until this fall.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

MORE National ARTICLES

IHIT names homicide victim whose body was found in B.C. bush fire

IHIT names homicide victim whose body was found in B.C. bush fire
Police have released the name of a homicide victim whose remains were found during a bush fire in Langley, B.C., last year, as they appeal for witnesses in the case. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says Michael Kashani was 36 years old when he died last September, leaving "a void in his family and community."

IHIT names homicide victim whose body was found in B.C. bush fire

24-year-old woman in Burnaby dies after being hit by vehicle

24-year-old woman in Burnaby dies after being hit by vehicle
A 24-year-old pedestrian struck by a vehicle last week in Burnaby has died. Police say the woman was hit the night of Dec. 17 and taken to hospital in critical condition where she later died.

24-year-old woman in Burnaby dies after being hit by vehicle

Ripe avalanche conditions for parts of B.C. expected to persist this week: forecaster

Ripe avalanche conditions for parts of B.C. expected to persist this week: forecaster
A forecaster says ripe avalanche conditions are expected to persist across much of British Columbia for the rest of the week. Large swaths of the province, stretching from the coast to the Alberta boundary, are under "considerable" or "moderate" avalanche danger warnings.

Ripe avalanche conditions for parts of B.C. expected to persist this week: forecaster

Wild Christmas: BC Ferries cancels many sailings over 'severe' forecast

Wild Christmas: BC Ferries cancels many sailings over 'severe' forecast
The ferry firm said the "severe" forecast meant all sailings between Tsawwassen and Duke Point in Nanaimo on Wednesday had to be axed, while trips between Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. were also scrapped.

Wild Christmas: BC Ferries cancels many sailings over 'severe' forecast

Fake banker scam in Burnaby

Fake banker scam in Burnaby
Mounties in Burnaby are asking for the public's help identifying a suspect believed to have defrauded a senior of thousands of dollars by posing as a bank employee. Police say they received a report in September saying a man called the victim and was able to obtain their date of birth and passwords.

Fake banker scam in Burnaby

Premiers urge Trudeau to extend deadline for charitable donations after postal strike

Premiers urge Trudeau to extend deadline for charitable donations after postal strike
Canada's premiers are calling on the federal government to extend the deadline for claiming charitable donations on tax returns through to the end of February. Ontario Premier Doug Ford made the request in a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Tuesday, sent in his capacity as chair of the Council of the Federation.

Premiers urge Trudeau to extend deadline for charitable donations after postal strike