Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

CBC says it is cutting 600 jobs, some programming

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2023 01:50 PM
  • CBC says it is cutting 600 jobs, some programming

The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. and Radio-Canada will eliminate about 600 jobs and an additional 200 vacancies will go unfilled as it contends with $125 million in budget pressures.

The public broadcaster says CBC and Radio-Canada will each cut about 250 jobs, with the balance of the layoffs coming from its corporate divisions like technology and infrastructure.

It has also identified about 200 currently vacant positions that will be eliminated.

Along with the job cuts, CBC will be reducing its English and French programming budgets, resulting in fewer renewals and acquisitions, new television series, episodes of existing shows and digital original series.

It attributed the cuts to rising production costs, declining television advertising revenue and fierce competition from the digital giants. 

At the end of March, CBC had some 6,500 permanent employees, about 2,000 temporary workers and roughly 760 contract staff.

The cuts at CBC come days after the Liberal government suggested it may cap the amount of money CBC and Radio-Canada could get under a $100 million deal Ottawa recently signed with Google.

MORE National ARTICLES

BC's police watchdog investigates a deadly officer involved shooting in Surrey

BC's police watchdog investigates a deadly officer involved shooting in Surrey
It says police identified two robbery suspects and, during an altercation, an officer shot and killed a man. The authority says the second suspect was taken into custody and no one else was hurt.

BC's police watchdog investigates a deadly officer involved shooting in Surrey

Humboldt marks five years since deadly bus crash

Humboldt marks five years since deadly bus crash
Mayor Michael Behiel has proclaimed it “2017-18 Humboldt Broncos Day” and encouraged people to take a moment of silence as the bells echo around 4:50 p.m., the approximate time the crash occurred five years ago.

Humboldt marks five years since deadly bus crash

Vancouver seeks more space for displaced campers

Vancouver seeks more space for displaced campers
Mayor Ken Sim ordered the long-standing encampment removed after the city's police and fire chiefs warned of escalating crime and an unacceptable fire risk. At the camp's peak, about 180 structures covered the sidewalk along the busy street.

Vancouver seeks more space for displaced campers

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend
Drivers are reminded that the Pattullo Bridge between Surrey and New Westminster will be closed in both directions starting on Thursday, April 6, at 10 p.m. and reopening on Tuesday, April 11, at 5 a.m. Drivers should take the Port Mann or Alex Fraser bridges as alternate routes. 

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges
On March 3rd of last year police were contacted about allegations involving a man and a child victim whom the accused had initially met online, and later met in-person. On March 9th,  following an extensive investigation, 39-year-old Adam Joseph Woolacott of Burnaby was charged with various sexual offences. 

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee
The man, who had unfortunately lost money to a so-called grandparent scam last summer, received a phone call from a person claiming to work for Burnaby RCMP Victim Services who said she could help him recover the lost funds. The scammer verbally provided the legitimate Burnaby RCMP Victim Services phone number to the senior as a callback number.

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee