Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charge laid in Chilliwack, B.C., death

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2021 05:54 PM
  • Charge laid in Chilliwack, B.C., death

 A manslaughter charge has been laid after the death of a man in late December in Chilliwack, B.C.

A statement from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 45-year-old Carlton Leith died several days after he was injured Dec. 27 during a fight with another man.

A 42-year-old suspect was arrested shortly after the assault, and RCMP said the isolated incident did not pose a risk to the public.

William Escott remains in custody, charged with several offences, including manslaughter and aggravated assault.

Court records show he returns to court in Chilliwack on Monday.

Investigators are now appealing for other witnesses who have not yet come forward to do so.

MORE National ARTICLES

Officials detail exemptions to border shutdown

Officials detail exemptions to border shutdown
The Canadian border has been closed since March to all but a specific list of people, albeit one that has grown longer as the pandemic has continued.

Officials detail exemptions to border shutdown

Crown says convicted killer has 'selective memory'

Crown says convicted killer has 'selective memory'
Janet Dickie told the British Columbia Appeal Court on Wednesday that Phillip Tallio has exaggerated some aspects of his testimony while giving different details about his whereabouts around the crime scene in Bella Coola on April 23, 1983.

Crown says convicted killer has 'selective memory'

B.C. cabinet built to tackle pandemic: observers

B.C. cabinet built to tackle pandemic: observers
After Horgan won 57 of 87 seats in last month's B.C. election, the pandemic and its impact on people's health and the economy will be the constant focus of the new cabinet, said Harcourt.

B.C. cabinet built to tackle pandemic: observers

Ontario alleges $11M COVID benefit fraud

Ontario alleges $11M COVID benefit fraud
According to the lawsuit, Sanjay Madan and his family opened more than 400 accounts at the Bank of Montreal between April and May. They then deposited around 10,000 cheques made out to fictitious applicants with thousands of non-existent children under the support program.

Ontario alleges $11M COVID benefit fraud

B.C. woman collapses after mask confrontation

B.C. woman collapses after mask confrontation
Rob Little, manager of The Adventure Hotel, says it happened last Friday when their accountant was called to help deal with a man who was shouting and ignoring new provincial rules to wear a mask to slow the spread of COVID-19.

B.C. woman collapses after mask confrontation

Tam urges Canadians to limit outings to essentials

Tam urges Canadians to limit outings to essentials
Dr. Theresa Tam warned that the number of people experiencing severe cases of COVID-19 is continuing to rise, putting a strain on health-care services and forcing hospitals to cancel surgeries. She said it's safest to limit errands and outings to essentials and to avoid socializing with people beyond one's household.

Tam urges Canadians to limit outings to essentials